Zev is an associate in the firm’s Minneapolis office and a member of the Energy Section. He practices principally in the areas of:
- Energy law
- Regulatory compliance
- Regulatory proceedings and disputes
- Regulated asset transfers
- Energy transactions and risk management
Zev has a diversified energy law practice which includes counseling clients in compliance matters, electricity sale and purchase transactions, asset transfers, complex jurisdictional interconnections and sales, and representing clients in regulatory proceedings.
Zev’s experience includes assisting in the representation of:
- a major Midwest public utility company in acquisition of $75 million interstate DC transmission facilities;
- two major Midwest public utility companies before the North Dakota Public Service Commission to obtain an Advanced Determination of Prudence for $1.8 billion investment in transmission infrastructure;
- a major Midwest public utility in a complex PURPA power transaction and related jurisdictional regulatory compliance issues;
- a major Midwest public utility for compliance with newly implemented state rate case related statutes;
- a major Midwest public utility in the sale of approximately $20 million in transmission assets;
- a major Midwest public utility in certain state tariff compliance issues for its various affiliates;
- a variety of clients before FERC.
In the community, Zev provides pro bono assistance to low income clients of Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, and serves as a mentor for Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, helping to recruit and retain diverse attorneys in the metro area. Zev also serves as a member of the firm’s Associate Panel.
Zev is licensed to practice in North Dakota, Minnesota and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. He is a member of the Energy, American, Hennepin County, Hispanic, Minnesota and North Dakota bar associations. Zev also is a member of the Environmental, Natural Resources and Energy Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association.
Prior to law school, Zev served as a legislative assistant to U.S. Senator Bob Graham, where he advised the senator on issues related to energy, agriculture, the environment and Native Americans. Zev’s efforts were particularly focused on furthering Senator Graham’s priorities relating to his seats on the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, as well as the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.
Zev received his B.A. in history from Middlebury College and his J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School, where he was a staff member of the Minnesota Journal of Law and Inequality. He joined Briggs in 2007.