Of Counsel; Energy
Steven is Of Counsel in the Energy Section of Briggs and Morgan. Based in the firm’s Minneapolis office, he has more than 30 years of energy industry experience representing electric utilities, natural gas shippers, generation developers and asset funds, and power marketers in a broad range of energy related transactions, disputes and regulatory proceedings.
Steven advises clients in the energy industry on major business development and energy commodity transactions, risk management, international cross border imports and exports, reliability standards, regional transmission organizations, generation development and interconnections, marketing, power marketing and trading and asset transfers.
Recent experience includes representation of:
- a major Midwestern electric utility company in restructuring North Dakota generation purchase and operating agreements from a 450 MW coal generating facility to reach revised corporate strategic planning objectives;
- a major Western electric utility company in its resource plan implementation in competitive negotiations for designing and building a 500 MW base load generating facility, negotiating and drafting power purchase and option agreements in response to business, regulatory, planning and due diligence objectives;
- a major Midwestern electric utility company in review and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements for 250 MW of international import and exports with a Canadian energy producer, including meeting criteria for regional ISO capacity resource approval;
- a Midwestern public power supplier in negotiation of a participation agreement and EPC agreement for a proposed 1500 MW coal generating facility development;
- a U.S. affiliate of an international renewable energy developer in a Midwest generator interconnection and related project financing matters;
- major Western, Southwestern and Midwest electric utility companies in numerous generation interconnection and facilities construction matters, with various customers, regional transmission providers and related FERC approvals;
- a major Midwest electric utility-federal power administration transmission system integration, transmission service agreement and related FERC rate schedule approvals;
- various Midwest public utility companies in transmission asset sales and exchanges, including negotiation and preparation of asset exchange or sales agreements, FERC and state commission approvals, mortgage indenture matters and transaction closing;
- a major Midwest public utility company in acquisition of $75 million interstate DC transmission facilities;
- major public utilities and renewable developers before FERC in various proceedings, disputes and settlement conferences.
Steven is admitted to practice before Minnesota and Wisconsin state courts, Minnesota Federal Court, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Claims Court. He is an active member of the Energy Bar Association, where he served as a past national and Midwest chapter director, and the Minnesota and Wisconsin State Bar Associations. Steven has taught and spoken at several Minnesota CLE seminars on energy matters and he has served on the board of directors of many community and arts organizations, including Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra and the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra Governing Members.
Steven received his B.A. from the University of Minnesota and his law degree from Hamline University School of Law. He served as Assistant General Counsel for ALLETE, Inc. and Minnesota Power before joining Briggs in 2004.