Private CompaniesPrint PDF
Briggs provides a full range of legal services to family-owned and closely-held businesses and their various constituencies, such as shareholders, partners, lenders and executives. We frequently advise on business planning issues associated with formation, such as analysis of the type of entity to be utilized, tax planning, and buy/sell and shareholder voting and control arrangements. We work with private companies to lay the groundwork for long-standing economic prosperity.
Briggs’ experienced corporate and business law attorneys understand business dynamics and organization and the special needs of newly-formed or closely-held companies. We provide counsel on acquisition and disposition of businesses, shareholder relations issues, conducting board and shareholder meetings, customer and supply chain agreements, employee benefits plans, executive employment and compensation planning, intellectual property protection and licensing, corporate investigations and labor negotiations.
We also represent companies undertaking a wide variety of financing transactions, including unsecured debt financing, asset-based financing and venture capital financing, as well as private placements of debt and equity securities exempt from registration under the Securities Act of 1933 and the Regulation D safe harbor. As the rules for private placements change to allow for general solicitation of investors or crowdfunding under certain circumstances, we can help companies navigate the rule changes to efficiently raise the capital they need.
Briggs and Morgan has helped hundreds of private companies with business law matters. Below is a sampling of recent select experience:
- Assisted in the sale of a privately held producer of food products through a merger with a strategic acquirer.
- Represented a Minneapolis-based conglomerate with a $50-million investment in a micro-brewery logistics company.
- Representation of a private equity firm and nearly all of its portfolio companies in M&A matters, financing matters, corporate governance, real estate matters, employee benefits and equity compensation plans.
- Advised an early stage portable generator manufacturer in regard to its United States distribution agreement and limited product warranty.
- Assisted family with wealth transfer strategies, including sales to defective trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, dynasty trusts, charitable trusts and foundations.
- Represented a large family-owned company in its acquisition of a large airline company.
- Represented a healthcare medical content provider in ongoing representation for various licensing and other commercial matters.
- Represented a local insurance agency in the sale of substantially all of the assets of an insurance agency.
- Represented a national private equity company in a series of acquisitions of construction equipment manufacturing companies.
- Represented an architectural, engineering and space design firm with state regulatory and professional licensing matters.
- Represented a private equity firm in its divestiture of a leading provider of travel solutions for loyalty programs.
- Represented a nonprofit hospital and senior care facility in its sale to a large, nonprofit health system.
- Represented an industry-leading provider of computer network performance management hardware and software in its sale to a large private-equity firm buyer.
- Represented a national retailer of music instruments with information technology needs in marketing, enterprise resource planning, big data analytics, inventory management, back office services and other services.
- Represented the founders of a start-up software company with respect to various formation matters.
- Represented a premier U.S. private equity firm in over 100 various joint ventures and acquisitions involving a broad range of assets, including distressed and non-performing loans, real estate, aircraft, maritime vessels and oil and gas interests.