Emerging CompaniesPrint PDF
For over a century, Briggs and Morgan has worked with emerging companies to help them achieve growth and success from their earliest stages. Our attorneys understand the business and legal challenges facing emerging companies, including the fundamental challenge of addressing a wide range of business and legal issues with limited resources. We guide emerging companies when they need to raise capital, attract and retain talented employees and management, negotiate and memorialize contracts and arrangements with third parties, protect intellectual property, resolve disputes, and ultimately realize a liquidity event, whether through sale, public offering, private equity investment, or otherwise.
We help clients turn their ideas into reality, accompanying them every step of the way. We work as a team and draw upon the firm's extensive resources to efficiently handle the range of complex issues faced by emerging companies including tax, finance, labor and employment, intellectual property, securities, real estate, environmental, and business disputes and litigation.
We have collaborated with entrepreneurs in the founding, development, financing, and sale of new ventures in a wide variety of industries, including:
- Medical device and technology
- Information technology
- Internet and e-commerce
- Hardware and software technology
- Health care
- Financial services
- Real estate
- Food and beverage/Agriculture
- Advised an early stage portable generator manufacturer in regard to its United States distribution agreement and limited product warranty.
- Assisted family with wealth transfer strategies, including sales to defective trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, dynasty trusts, charitable trusts and foundations.
- Briggs Counsels StemoniX Through Exponential Growth
- Prepared a $2 million Series B preferred stock financing round for a private company that designs and manufactures water filtration devices.
- Prepared a $3 million Rule 506 private placement of securities for a private medical technology company.
- Representation of a marketing technologies company in its IPO, follow-on offering and registered direct offerings.
- Representation of a medical device company since its IPO, including PIPE transactions, a debt conversion, other equity financings, a senior secured debt issuance and follow-on offering.
- Represented a healthcare medical content provider in ongoing representation for various licensing and other commercial matters.
- Represented a national private equity company in a series of acquisitions of construction equipment manufacturing companies.
- Represented a spine device company in obtaining venture capital financing and winning an arbitration with a terminated distributor.
- Represented an architectural, engineering and space design firm with state regulatory and professional licensing matters.
- Represented one of the premier junior capital providers in the United States, which manages six separate funds with more than $1 billion in commitments, including debt and equity investments in more than 80 companies nationwide.
- Represented registered broker-dealer in connection with a $3 million broker-placed Rule 506 private placement of securities.
- Represented the founders of a start-up software company with respect to various formation matters.
- Serve as outside general counsel to numerous early-stage, growth companies in a variety of industries with a wide-range of legal needs, including entity and ownership structure; financing arrangements; real estate arrangements; terms of employment; equity and equity-like incentive arrangements; and licensing arrangements.