Cross-Border TransactionsPrint PDF
Briggs and Morgan has counseled global private and public companies across a wide array of industries in connection with the structuring, negotiation and consummation of complex commercial transactions. We have successfully closed deals throughout the United States, Central and Eastern Europe, Asia, Central America, the Caribbean and Canada.
We often work with local foreign counsel on international transactions to seamlessly assist clients in navigating foreign tax and antitrust issues, as well as Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) compliance and foreign patent and trademark protection.
Our M&A attorneys assist clients in cross-border transactions involving:
Sales and Acquisitions. Briggs attorneys understand the nuances of selling and acquiring foreign businesses and stand ready to assist with unique foreign due diligence considerations, antitrust analysis and filings, FCPA compliance issues, and complex international tax issues.
Joint Ventures, Strategic Alliances and Foreign Expansion. Briggs assists clients in expanding their operations and sales into foreign markets, i.e., selling product through sales representatives or distributors, warehousing product in foreign jurisdictions, opening sales offices or manufacturing facilities in foreign countries, and entering into strategic alliances with foreign partners. Briggs teams with local counsel and professionals to advise on local and international tax issues and tax structuring, employee hiring and termination laws, and foreign accounting and financial reporting standards. We also advise and negotiate financing, distribution and sale contracts, and complex licensing agreements including intellectual property protection.
Briggs and Morgan has represented dozens of cross-border transactions. Below is a sampling of recent select experience:
- Represented an international air vending services company in the acquisition of a Netherlands-based manufacturer of air vending equipment, and in the formation of companies in Spain, Portugal, France and Belgium as strategic add-ons.
- Represented a large publicly traded beverage company in a $750 million acquisition of a juice drink company in the Ukraine - the largest transaction in the history of the Ukraine in its time.
- Represented U.S.-based food manufacturer in the nutritional and food processing industry in its sale to a Canadian Cooperative and industry leader with $3.4 billion in annual sales.
- Represented truck and trailer manufacturer in its acquisition of assets and transfer of leased real estate in the UK.
- Represented a publicly-traded, locally-based retailer in a $340-million sale transaction to a German private equity purchaser.
- Represented a publicly traded company in its merger with another publicly traded company in a global transaction involving North American, Central American and European markets valued at $7.8 billion, creating one of the world's largest beverage companies.
- Represented a Netherlands-based dairy company in the acquisition of a cheese and whey producer.
- Represented a Europe-based global cheese and nutritional ingredients company in a $315 million bolt-on transaction to expand their presence in North America.
- Represented a large publicly traded company in a joint venture involving operations in Jamaica, Trinidad, Puerto Rico, Barbados, Mexico and Guatemala to form one of the largest privately controlled companies in Central America.
- Counsel to a Canadian public REIT, for whom we have completed acquisitions of industrial, office and retail properties and assorted financings.