Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)Print PDF
The members of Briggs’ ADR practice group serve as mediators, arbitrators and special masters in many different areas of the law. We have served as neutrals in shareholder disputes, law firm dissolutions and valuations, business disputes, professional liability/malpractice, eminent domain, real estate, construction, personal injury and employment disputes.
We have a number of qualified Minnesota Rule 114 neutrals in our group, and our ADR members are active participants in various trade industries and organizations, including telecommunications, labor and employment, and construction.
Our ADR practice group experience includes:
- served as one of three special masters (appointed by the Minnesota Supreme Court) regarding the 2007 I35W bridge collapse;
- served as special masters and receivers in business litigation;
- mediation of wrongful death cases and catastrophic injury matters, and construction cases;
- mediation of issues arising out of dissolution of a law firm including valuation of ownership interests;
- mediation of insurance coverage issues including allocation of exposures based on time on the risk;
- chair of arbitration panel regarding disputes between owner and design-builder arising out of a garbage to energy facility;
- chair of arbitration panel regarding claims of individuals against an accounting firm for fraud and malpractice arising out of promotion of tax shelters subsequently disallowed by the IRS;
- served on arbitration panel regarding claims between a design-builder contractor and its subcontractor arising out of a dredging and cap project on Lake Superior;
- served on three arbitration panels regarding claims between a health care insurer and a servicing agent that processed claims;
- claims of employment discrimination and violation of Whistle Blower statutes in a nonprofit organization;
- class action claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act regarding pay practices in the health care industry;
- federal class action involving pay practices in the restaurant services industry.
Our practice group members regularly participate in the Hennepin County pro bono mediation pilot program. Under this program, we serve as appointed mediators for selected types of civil cases in Hennepin County. Besides serving as neutrals, many of us also represent clients in the preparation for and/or participation in mediations and arbitrations. We also have provided customized in-house ADR training sessions for clients and in-house counsel.
- "Interstate Panel: Pitfalls to Interstate Business," Presenter, CFMA's Connection Cafe Connected CommunityFebruary 2014
- "The Arbitrator's Perspective," Panelist, MSBA Construction Law Section's Annual Meeting & SymposiumJune 2012
- "Renewing the Promise of Arbitration," Minnesota CLEMarch 2011