Administrative & RegulatoryPrint PDF
Many Minnesota government agencies have the authority to legislate through rulemaking, adjudicate through administrative hearings, and enforce rules through investigations and complaint proceedings. For businesses and industries which are regulated by these government agencies, it is valuable to have attorneys who know the intricacies of administrative and regulatory law.
Briggs and Morgan attorneys represent and advise regulated businesses and industries, including telecommunications, transportation, gas, electric, environmental, insurance, and health care. We represent client interests in rule making, contested cases, and informal proceedings before federal, state, and local governmental entities and administrative agencies. Our attorneys are experienced in proceedings conducted by the Minnesota Office of Administrative Hearings.
The many administrative agencies with which we have worked include the State Legislature, county boards, city councils, and Metropolitan Council. Our experience with Minnesota State Offices is extensive and includes the Minnesota Attorney General, Department of Education, Department of Health, Office of Administrative Hearings, Department of Employment and Economic Development, Department of Human Rights, Department of Revenue, Lawyers Professional Responsibility Board, Pollution Control Agency (PCA), Public Utilities Commission, Department of Commerce, Department of Transportation (DOT), Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Department of Labor and Industry (DOL), and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Our attorneys also handle such diverse matters as customs violations, joint powers agreements among government agencies and governmental enforcement proceedings.
- Advised and assisted on federal/state DOT regulatory compliance, including hours of service, driver qualifications, hazardous materials and drug/alcohol testing, and the development and negotiation of motor carrier/shipper contracts.
- Advised and assisted private and for-hire motor carriers on federal DOT regulatory compliance, including DOT audits, notice of claims, civil penalties and related matters.
- Provided advocacy, regulatory advice, and prepared comments for rulemaking proceedings relating to universal service and ETC designation in numerous states.
- Represented an architectural, engineering and space design firm with state regulatory and professional licensing matters.
- Represented clients before the FCC in intercarrier compensation and notice and comment proceedings.
- Represented clients in state public utility commission proceedings on a variety of regulatory matters in numerous states.
- Represented clients in state public utility commission proceedings to obtain CLEC certificates of authority.
- Represented telecommunications carrier in administrative proceeding and litigation relating to alleged ex parte contacts with state regulatory commission.
- Represented title insurance company in enforcement proceeding by state Department of Commerce.
- Represented wireless carriers in obtaining eligible telecommunications carrier designation from Federal Communications Commission and various state public utility commissions.
- Represented wireless companies in federal courts in disputes with local telephone companies regarding compensation for calls between parties' networks in multiple states.
- January 10, 2019