Director of lawyer talent
We are seeking a director of lawyer talent to lead the entry-level attorney recruiting function at the firm, working in collaboration with the recruiting committee. This position oversees strategy and procedures relating to all recruiting efforts for entry-level, contract and staff attorneys. The director of lawyer talent maintains positive contact with lawyers, staff, recruits and placement offices on law school campuses, and serves as resource for lateral lawyer recruitment and onboarding of lateral hires. This position is responsible for implementing attorney professional development programming, working in collaboration with the firm's training committee and business development and marketing. This role will also work with the firm's diversity committee and management committee on creating a diverse and inclusive workplace.
This role reports to the executive director.
- Propose, supervise and maintain recruiting policies, operational procedures and practices consistent with the goals and objectives of the firm and in consultation with the recruiting committee and with approval of the management committee. Guide and manage efforts to implement new recruiting technology and more efficient processes.
- Identify legal requirements and regulations affecting recruiting policies and procedures and ensure compliance.
- Attend and facilitate all meetings of the recruiting committee; prepare recruiting committee meeting agendas and minutes; regularly meet with recruiting committee chair(s) to discuss committee business.
- Communicate with the management committee and board on recruiting issues as necessary; attend management committee and board meetings when invited.
- Supervise program for interviewing and selecting entry-level and contract attorneys; identify and recommend recruiting strategies and goals to the management committee and recruiting co-chairs, including target number of summer hires needed; recommend schools to visit for on-campus interviews; participate in on-campus and call-back interviews; train recruiting committee members on interview techniques and procedures, NALP guidelines and legal requirements in hiring; review summaries of interview feedback and results and attend meetings to make offer decisions; sign offer and rejection letters; perform or delegate employment verification and/or reference checks; review recruiting coordinator’s statistical data regarding affirmative action and hiring statistics; ensure compliance with affirmative action goals and strategies; review website content; attend social recruiting functions.)
- Supervise summer associate program (prepare and approve orientation schedule and manuals; train summer associates on work allocation and evaluation processes; work with recruiting committee co-chairs to select overall summer program events to be facilitated by the lawyer recruiting coordinator; attend summer recruiting events; conduct trainings and check-in meetings with summer associates on work allocation, evaluation processes; serve as substantive periodic evaluator for one or more summer associates.
- Leads onboarding and orientation for new entry-level attorneys.
- Supports management committee and section heads with lateral attorney hiring as needed.
- Supports board of directors with shareholder consideration process.
- Take lead role to enhance diversity and inclusion throughout the firm consistent with the firm’s goals and objectives in consultation with the diversity committee and with approval of the management committee, including developing strategy, policies and training to attract, retain, and promote a diverse workforce; developing diversity programming; and serving as liaison with outside organizations promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Supervise lawyer recruiting coordinator’s periodic attorney license and bar association renewal and continuing legal education (CLE) compliance tracking, providing analysis of laws, rules and policies relating to licensing and CLE requirements within the state of Minnesota.
- Prepare and monitor recruiting operating budget and annual plan; ensure goals are achieved as appropriate; prepare interim reports as requested.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with other departments including IT, finance, human resources, facilities and marketing.
- Ability to manage projects and other accountabilities at a level normally attained through a J.D., MBA or other master’s degree or equivalent, or through substantial years of experience at a law firm.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible related work experience, ideally in a law firm environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Possess excellent public relations skills. Must project a competent, professional image of the firm.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Exhibit good judgment. Must be able to make sound decisions when recommending employment, promotion or other decisions.
- Ability to use personal computer with various data bases, spreadsheet applications and word processing packages.
- Understanding of the legal and procedural requirements involved in hiring and managing employees. Law degree preferred.
- Work requires a high level of mental effort when performing essential duties.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to follow through and deliver on multiple responsibilities and assignments.
- Ability to work flexible work hours.
Please submit resume and salary expectations to email@example.com.