Pro Bono and Community Engagement Manager
A successful candidate for this position will maximize ways for Briggs’ attorneys and staff to play an active and positive role in their community in a strategic manner that is consistent with Briggs’ personal development and business development objectives. This includes coordinating all of the firm’s pro bono activities; strategically helping attorneys get involved in community service such as non-profit boards and bar association activities; and finding opportunities for the firm to demonstrate its commitment to betterment of the Twin Cities community. This position reports to the Director of Client Development & Marketing; Chair, and Pro Bono Committee.
PRO BONO Responsibilities
Internal Pro Bono Coordination
- Meet with attorneys to increase their pro bono activity, and find pro bono opportunities that match with attorneys’ skills development and business development goals.
- Recruit attorneys to staff legal clinics and programs to which the firm has committed; supervise Pro Bono/Legal Administrative Assistant in maintaining calendars of same.
- Assist attorneys as needed with questions about pro bono.
- Serve as primary contact for requests for pro bono work from outside sources; analyze and screen same and, in conjunction with Chair of Pro Bono Committee, refer as appropriate to attorneys based on their interests, availability, and professional development goals.
- Supervise responses by Pro Bono/Legal Administrative Assistant to unsolicited “cold calls” seeking pro bono.
- Work with the Chair of Pro Bono Committee to coordinate and refine the firm’s pro bono efforts with the firm’s strategic goals. This includes developing opportunities for pro bono work that complements client goals, attorney development, and community service activities.
- Develop and maintain pro bono-related content for firm’s internal web “portal”.
- Maintain archive of pro bono successes and stories.
- Publicize upcoming pro bono events, trainings, etc.
- Assist with annual pro bono lunch event and pro bono awards.
External Marketing and Outreach
- Develop and maintain pro bono-related content for firm website.
- Serve as a liaison to legal service providers, courts, bar associations, and related community organizations.
- Attend fundraising and other events for legal service providers.
- Assist Chair of Pro Bono Committee with nominating the firm, its members, and others for pro bono-related recognitions.
- Gather information about pro bono best practices, including through attending monthly meetings of pro bono professionals.
- Gather information re: pro bono for RFPs and client pitches.
Training and Orientation
- With Chair of Pro Bono Committee, assist with pro bono orientation for new attorneys and summer associates.
- Coordinate pro bono training events that occur at firm.
- Ensure that attorneys are provided with necessary training to handle pro bono matters and communicate opportunities for pro bono trainings to attorneys.
- Attend and co-lead meetings of Pro Bono Committee and assist with gathering data for same.
- Implement decisions of Pro Bono Committee.
- Coordinate with Community Service Committee.
Community Engagement Responsibilities
Coordinate attorneys’ community engagement activity
- Meet with attorneys to identify community engagement activity opportunities that match with their skills development and business development goals.
- Work with firm leadership and practice group leaders to identify strategic community engagement activities opportunities and match attorneys with these opportunities.
- Assist attorneys as needed with questions about community engagement activities.
- Manage all aspects of Foundation-related sponsorships (including civic and cultural contributions, legal services organizations, and bar-related events), including identifying and coordinating table attendees and working with CDM Coordinator to handle registration and logistical process.
- Identify community sponsorship opportunities and recommend level of investment. Build and manage relationships with the representatives of the organizations/events to sponsor. Drive participation of relevant attorneys in the sponsorship opportunity. Maximize benefits of the sponsorship, including working with CDM Communications Manager to post to the Firm’s social media channels, the firm’s website, the firm’s relevant blogs, and attorney bios; develop ad for event program; ensure table is filled; and submit logo. Collaborate with Client Development and Marketing Manager to recruit attorneys for the opportunity such as networking preparation or presentation development.
- Identify causes that are supported by top clients and works with the Director of Client Development & Marketing to create strategy plans to maximize firm investment.
- Develop community engagement content for firm’s internal web “portal”; including publicizing event and engagement opportunities.
- Maintain archive of community engagement successes and stories.
- Attend community service team meetings.
External Marketing and Outreach
- Partner with community service team to develop and maintain content for firm website.
- Assist community services team and Communications and Marketing Manager with nominating the firm, its members, and others for community service/engagement recognitions.
- Gather information re: community engagement for RFPs and client pitches.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- D. preferred but not required.
- Working familiarity with Minnesota’s programs for providing legal services to low income people and Minnesota charitable organizations.
- Ability to lead projects, work in a team environment, take initiative, and motivate others.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work productively with people of varied backgrounds and interests, ranging from low-income clients to attorneys within the firm.
- Ability to be discreet, maintain confidential information, and use sound judgment.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Self-starter who can work with limited supervision a must.
- Working knowledge of programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Internet resources.
Please submit resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org