University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., High Distinction
- Order of the Coif
Luther College, B.A., Summa Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
Valerie Herring is a member of the Energy section and practices primarily in the areas of:
- Energy law and litigation
- Utility law
- Administrative law/regulatory compliance
- Renewable energy
- Business litigation
Valerie’s energy practice focuses primarily on energy facility permitting and compliance issues. Valerie has extensive experience with certificate of need and routing proceedings before the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission for high-voltage transmission lines. She also advises clients on regulatory matters involving the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission.
As part of her general litigation practice, Valerie has successfully represented clients in a variety of disputes including contract, tort, personal injury and environmental law claims.
While in law school, she served as an associate editor of the Journal of Transactional Law and Contemporary Problems.
- Defended thousands of claims and numerous trials stemming out of a North Dakota derailment.
- Developed Certificate of Need and Route Permit applications for 115 kV and 345 kV transmission projects.
- Developed Certificate of Need application for a 13-mile 115 kV transmission project. Prepared witnesses for hearing, drafted testimony, and appeared on behalf of applicants before the ALJ.
- Represented international businesses in private arbitration to allocate liability for a $100 million coal tar clean-up of sediments and land.
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
- July 10, 2017
- August 26, 2011