Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1996
University of North Dakota, B.A., 1993, Summa Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
Tim Gelinske is a member of the Business Litigation section, Environmental Law practice group and the Railroad practice group.
Tim helps clients evaluate and solve all types of business disputes in a cost-effective, efficient and professional manner. Tim’s clients receive highly responsive service tailored to their unique business and legal needs.
Tim strives to create and maintain positive and long-lasting professional relationships with each of his clients. In addition, he seeks to establish respectful and productive relationships with opposing counsel to reduce or eliminate unnecessary and costly side issues. Tim understands that he is hired to resolve, not create, disputes for his clients.
Tim has successfully litigated a wide variety of business disputes including, but not limited to, the following:
- Complex commercial claims
- Environmental claims
- Fires and explosions
- Toxic torts
- Issues particular to the utility, airline and railroad industries
- State and federal court appeals
Tim represents clients ranging in size from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies in a variety of commercial disputes. He has provided counseling and litigated matters involving breaches of contract, corporate governance, privacy, employment, non-compete and many other commercial claims.
Fires and Explosions
Tim defends clients from claims stemming from fires and explosions. He has litigated a wide range of cases involving accidental fires, electrical fires and claims of product defect.
As part of his environmental practice, Tim typically represents potentially responsible parties with respect to contamination at state and federal sites and has extensive experience defending companies against personal injury and property devaluation claims relating to toxic exposure. Tim also has substantial experience defending cost recovery claims brought under Minnesota’s Environmental Response and Liability Act (MERLA).
Tim enjoys spending his free time with his family and friends and coaching kids.
Honors & Awards
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Future Star, Benchmark Litigation
- Defended multinational document management corporation in a major contract dispute.
- Represented a company in a dispute regarding the proper interpretation of contractual provisions relating to commissions.
- Represented airline in whistleblower claim brought by pilot.
- Represented railroad in case of first impression regarding a private party's right to recover environmental clean-up costs under MERLA, Minn. Stat. § 115B.01 et seq.
- Represented railroad in suit brought by citizens alleging personal injuries caused by living next to wood treating plant.
- Represented utility in multiple lawsuits involving fire damage claims.
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- March 2, 2016
- March 3, 2014
- "Privacy Issues: Statutory and Common Law Issues Associated with the Disclosure of Personal Health Information"September 2011