Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1996
University of North Dakota, B.A., 1993, Summa Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
Tim Gelinske is a member of the Business Litigation section.
Tim handles matters predominantly for in-house counsel of large private and public companies. He helps in-house counsel evaluate and conclude all types of business disputes in a cost effective, efficient and professional manner. Tim’s clients receive highly responsive service tailored to their unique business and legal needs.
Tim strives to create and maintain positive and long-lasting professional relationships with each of his clients. In addition, he seeks to establish respectful and productive relationships with opposing counsel to reduce or eliminate unnecessary and costly side issues. Tim understands that he is hired to resolve, not create, disputes for his clients.
Tim has successfully litigated a wide variety of business disputes including, but not limited to, the following:
- Complex commercial claims
- Toxic torts
- Environmental claims
- Fires and explosions
- Issues particular to the utility, airline and railroad industries
- State and federal court appeals
Complex Commercial Disputes
Tim represents clients ranging in size from medium businesses to Fortune 500 companies in a variety of commercial disputes. He has provided counseling and litigated matters involving breaches of contract, insurance coverage, trademarks, corporate governance, employment, non-compete and many other commercial claims.
Tim defends companies it all manners of disputes involving claims of damage to property, personal injuries or other tort claims.
As part of his environmental practice, Tim typically represents potentially responsible parties with respect to contamination at state and federal sites and has extensive experience defending companies against personal injury and property devaluation claims relating to toxic exposure. Tim also has substantial experience defending cost recovery claims brought under Minnesota’s Environmental Response and Liability Act (MERLA).
Fires and Explosions
Tim defends clients from claims stemming from fires and explosions. He has litigated a wide range of cases involving accidental fires, electrical fires and claims of product defect.
Honors & Awards
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Litigation
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Future Star, Benchmark Litigation
- Obtained a multi-million dollar judgment for a Fortune 500 company in a major vendor dispute
Successfully defended multinational document management corporation in a major contract dispute.
- Successfully represented a company in a dispute regarding the proper interpretation of contractual provisions relating to commissions.
- Successfully represented an airline in whistleblower claim brought by pilot.
- Represented railroad in case of first impression regarding a private party's right to recover environmental clean-up costs under MERLA, Minn. Stat. § 115B.01 et seq.
- Represented railroad in suit brought by citizens alleging personal injuries caused by living next to wood treating plant.
- Represented utility in multiple lawsuits involving property damages and personal injury claims.
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Tim has served in various leadership roles at Briggs including the following:
- Board of Directors (2014 - 2016)
- Recruiting Committee Co-Chair (2007- 2013)
Tim currently serves as a director on the following non-profit boards:
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School
- Torgerson Family Foundation
- March 2, 2016
- March 3, 2014
- "Privacy Issues: Statutory and Common Law Issues Associated with the Disclosure of Personal Health Information"September 2011