University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1988, Magna Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
University of Minnesota B.A., 1984
Bar & Court Admissions
Tom Bray is a member of the Financial Institutions and Real Estate section and practices principally in the areas of:
- Real estate development
- Commercial real estate sales and acquisitions
- Commercial leasing
- Common interest communities
- Land use and zoning
- Workouts and foreclosures
- Real estate finance
Commercial Real Estate
Tom has more than 25 years experience representing both corporate and individual clients in all types of real estate acquisition, financing, development and sale transactions. He has significant experience in the acquisition and development of land for commercial, residential and mixed use condominium and planned community projects, including condominium conversions. Tom also participated in the drafting of the Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act and its subsequent amendments.
As a complement of his practice, Tom works closely with the public finance team and often serves as special counsel to cities and municipal development authorities in connection with commercial real estate development projects.
Tom represents both landlords and tenants with all types of commercial leasing arrangements involving office, retail and industrial property.
Workouts and Foreclosures
In his work with lenders and creditors, Tom has been involved in numerous workouts and foreclosures including, most recently, numerous foreclosures of land acquisition mortgages and construction mortgages on partially developed single-family residential and residential condominium projects.
Tom actively assists a local nonprofit housing provider with issues relating to residential development and condominium construction. He also provides pro bono real estate counsel to an organization serving veterans. Tom is active in the Real Property Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association. He is a past chair of the Section and remains a member of the Section's governing council.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America
- America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association
Tom's representative experience includes:
Representation of a shopping center developer in the acquisition of an enclosed regional mall and adjacent properties and the entitlement and financing of the demolition and redevelopment of the mall and adjacent properties as a Wal-Mart anchored power center.
Representation of a private equity firm in the acquisition of a ground lease for a commercial airline maintenance facility, and related agreements.
- Representation of a residential developer in the creation of a Master Association and in the development of documentation to integrate the Master Association and a pre-existing, adjacent Condominium Association with respect to certain shared amenities.
- Representation of a large, closely-held corporation in connection with the acquisition of its corporate headquarters building and a related financing transaction.
- Representation of a municipal Development Authority in the preparation and negotiation of a Development Agreement for a 300-plus acre, mixed-use development, the negotiation of various amendments to the Development Agreement; negotiations and litigation with a foreclosing lender regarding the Development Agreement; the Development Authority’s acquisition of the undeveloped land from the foreclosing lender and the sale and development of various parcels.
- Representation of a retail beverage industry client in connection with various retail leases.
- Representation of a closely-held, private real estate development and property management company in connection with the development of an urban, mixed-use, residential/ retail development.
- Representation of an individual in connection with the sale of approximately 60 acres of land in Florida for residential development.
- Representation of an estate in connection with the sale of a former gas station site.
- Representation of a municipal development authority in the acquisition of fee and leasehold interests in various improved and unimproved parcels and the transfer of the acquired parcels to the municipality for redevelopment as a publicly owned minor league baseball facility.
- Representation of a large cheese manufacturer in the acquisition of a cheese plant in Idaho.
- Representation of a national home builder in documentation for single family and multifamily residential developments.
- Representation of a closely-held, family retail business in connection with the sale of the corporation's real estate for redevelopment and the liquidation of the business.
- Representation of a private school in connection with the sale of a portion of the school campus and the preparation and negotiation of covenants, restrictions and easements to govern the future use of the property being sold.
- Representation of an individual and his closely held entity in the acquisition of an automobile recycling center.
- Representation of an international mining corporation in connection with various acquisition and option transactions.
- Representation of corporate entity in negotiations with the MPCA regarding terms of Environmental Covenants and Easements.
- Representation of Regional Airport Authority in various ground lease transactions.
- Representation of developer in connection with the acquisition of a hotel project.
- Assisted in the sale of a privately held producer of food products through a merger with a strategic acquirer.
American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Fellow
American Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association
- Certified Real Property Law Specialist
- Real Property Law Section, Past Chair
- Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act (MCIOA) Committee, Chair
- Real Property Law Section Governing Council, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Ramsey County Bar Association, Member
- July 10, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- August 22, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- June 20, 2014
- March 3, 2014
- March 26, 2013
- July 18, 2011
- June 27, 2011
- August 1, 2008