George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1996, Cum Laude
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1992, Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
Steve Kozachok is co-chair of the firm's Business Law section, co-chairs the Private Equity, Information Technology and IP Prosecution practice groups, and has extensive experience in private equity, IT and healthcare transactions.
Steve practices principally in the areas of:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Strategic relationships
- Commercial contracts
- Entity formation and business planning
- Corporate governance
- General corporate and securities law
Steve has 20 years of corporate and securities law experience. He practiced as an associate and then partner in the corporate group of a large local law firm for eight years before serving for three years as the associate general counsel for a major medical device company, where he was responsible for M&A, financings, securities law compliance and reporting and corporate governance matters.
Steve next served as general counsel for a leading, publicly held computer security software company until its sale to a publicly held buyer in late 2008, and then as general counsel for the network security division of the post-merger entity until 2009.
Steve regularly participates in panel discussions regarding M&A, information technology and medtech matters, and has frequently been quoted in the local news media. He also serves as an adjunct professor for healthcare M&A at Mitchell | Hamline School of Law.
Honors & Awards
- One of only two individuals in Minnesota listed as up-and-coming M&A attorneys in 2005 in Chambers USA.
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers, five consecutive years
Representative IT-related Transactions Include:
- Sale of LuciData to The Newberry Group
- Sale of Network Instruments, LLC to Thoma Bravo, LLC
- Sale of Secure Computing Corporation to McAfee, Inc.
- Sale by Secure Computing Corporation of SafeWord network access business to Aladdin Knowledge Systems Ltd.
- Acquisition by Secure Computing Corporation of Securify, Inc.
Representative Healthcare-related Transactions Include:
- Sale of a nonprofit hospital and senior care facility to a large, nonprofit health system
- Acquisitions by UnitedHealth Group entities of:
- Fidelity Insurance Group
- Mid Atlantic Medical Services, Inc.
- Golden Rule Financial Corporation
- AmeriChoice Corporation
- Definity Health Corporation
- Spectera, Inc.
- Lifemark Corporation
- Acquisitions by St. Jude Medical, Inc. of:
- Advanced Neuromodulation Systems, Inc.
- EP MedSystems, Inc.
- A contingent acquisition option for an embolic protection device company
- Sale of Pulmonetic Systems, Inc. to VIASYS Healthcare (now CareFusion)
- Acquisition of a cutting-edge medical technology company by an S&P 500 client.
- Venture investment by a medical device company in an ablation catheter company
- PIPE investment by St. Jude Medical, Inc. in Cambridge Heart, Inc.
- Acquisition by Quintiles Transnational Corp. of the assets of Bioglan Pharma, Inc.
- Financing transactions for:
- StemoniX, Inc.
- Raymedica, Inc.
- HealthEZ, Inc.
- EM Vascular, Inc.
- Virtuel Medical, Inc.
- Image-Guided Neurologics, Inc.
Representative Private Equity Transactions Include:
- Sale of a property maintenance services company
- Purchase of a shooting target and firearm accessory company
- Purchase of a casino chair manufacturing company
- Purchase of a heavy equipment manufacturing company
- Purchase of a trucking tarp manufacturing company
- Purchase of a wine capsule manufacturing company
- Purchase of a UK-based arts and crafts company
- Purchase of a direct mail company
- Purchase of a taxidermy supply company
- Purchase of a UK-based cash drawer company
Boards of Directors
Somerset Country Club
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, MinnDakotas Chapter (former)
The First Tee of Saint Paul (former)
American Bar Association, Member
Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, Mentor (former)
LegalCORPS, Volunteer (former)
- March 6, 2018
- November 24, 2014
- June 12, 2014
- August 29, 2013
- April 11, 2013
- June 26, 2012
- February 11, 2011
- January 15, 2010