William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., Magna Cum Laude
University of St. Thomas, B.A.
Bar & Court Admissions
Steve Brunn is a member of the Employment, Benefits and Labor section, as well as the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice group. Steve practices principally in the areas of:
- Qualified retirement plan design, administration, compliance and counseling
- Non-qualified deferred compensation plan design, drafting and compliance with Code Section 409A
- Equity compensation strategies involving stock options, employee stock purchase plans and restricted stock
- Health and welfare benefit plan design, including FSAs, HRAs, and HSAs, and compliance with HIPAA, ERISA and state law requirements
- Employee communications and disclosure requirements
- Fiduciary duties, prohibited transactions and ERISA claims
- Corporate transactions and providing ongoing post-closing advice and counseling
Steve has more than 18 years of employee benefit experience, once working in-house for employers in the administration of employee benefit plans and also with two local trust companies. His experience prior to joining Briggs provides a practical approach for addressing client concerns.
As part of his practice, Steve has assisted employers in all areas of ERISA compliance for retirement, top-hat, health and welfare benefit plans, including reporting, disclosure, fiduciary, funding and nondiscrimination requirements. He has represented employers before the IRS and the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) regarding DOL examinations, prohibited transaction exemption requests, the Voluntary Fiduciary Compliance Program and the Delinquent Filers Voluntary Program. In addition, he has assisted employers with obtaining church plan rulings under ERISA.
While in law school, Steve was a member of the international law moot court team.
Honors & Awards
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Advise ESOP company executives on the sale of the company to a third party.
- Advise on HIPAA and HITECH compliance for business associates, including conducting risk analysis, negotiating terms of business associate agreements, and drafting policies and procedures.
- Advise on HIPAA and HITECH compliance for business associates, including negotiating terms of business associate agreements, drafting policies and procedures and conducting employee training.
- Advise on HIPAA and HITECH compliance for group health plan as a cover entity, including negotiating terms of business associate agreements, drafting policies and procedures, conducting employee training, and drafting plan amendments.
- Agent's counsel for a national bank in connection with a $95 million secured, syndicated revolving credit facility to a large dairy cooperative.
- Draft long-term incentive plans and annual incentive plans.
- Lender's counsel for a national bank in connection with a $45 million secured revolving credit facility to a group of companies that owns and operates dozens of drug stores and pharmacies across the upper Midwest.
- Representation of a publicly-held thrift holding company in its response to a proxy contest by one of its institutional shareholders.
- Represented CEO of large manufacturer in negotiating and drafting CEO's final employment agreement with company. Agreement provided transition package along with other features.
- Represented senior executive in negotiating separation agreement with executive's employer.
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Insurance for Members Committee, Member
American Bar Association, Member
- Briggs and Morgan and Industry Professionals Discuss the DOL Fiduciary/Conflict of Interest Rule (Fiduciary Duty Rule) and Related Prohibited Transaction ExemptionsNovember 7, 2016
- January 15, 2013
- August 27, 2009
- Breakfast Briefing SeriesApril 20, 2016
- Windows on Minnesota, 50th Floor, IDS Center, April 10, 2014
- June 27, 2013
- Windows on Minnesota, 50th Floor, IDS Center, April 9, 2013
- 7:30 - 9:30 a.m. | Briggs and Morgan, Minneapolis, September 13, 2012
- Windows on Minnesota, 50th Floor, IDS Center, April 12, 2012
- 11:30 - 1:30 p.m. | Briggs and Morgan, Minneapolis, September 15, 2011
- 7:30 - 9:30 a.m. | Briggs and Morgan, Minneapolis, September 13, 2011
- 8 a.m. – 12:00 a.m. | Windows on Minnesota, 50th Floor, IDS Center, Minneapolis, April 14, 2011
- 7:30 – 9:30 a.m. | Briggs and Morgan, Minneapolis, September 14, 2010
- 7:30 – 9 a.m. | Briggs and Morgan, Minneapolis, November 5, 2009
- 8 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. | Briggs and Morgan, Minneapolis, June 4, 2009
- "Webcast: COBRA, HIPAA, and CHIPS Rules Update," Briggs and MorganMarch 2009
- November 1, 2016
- October 28, 2015
- March 2015
- October 29, 2014
- November 7, 2013
- November 5, 2013
- January 22, 2013
- October 25, 2012
- November 2, 2011
- September 21, 2011
- Alert: Technical Release 2011-03 Provides New Method For Satisfying New Participant Fee Disclosure Rule Through Electronic MediaSeptember 16, 2011
- May 25, 2011
- March 31, 2010
- January 4, 2010
- December 11, 2009
- October 14, 2009
- February 19, 2009
- January 16, 2009
- February 20, 2008
OMB Stays Use of New EEO-1 Form
“Pre-emption”: On a One-Way Ticket to Nowhere?