University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1982, Summa Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Kappa Phi
Harvard University, B.A., 1975, Magna Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- Honorable William H. Rehnquist, United States Supreme Court
- Honorable Edward A. Tamm, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
Scott Knudson is a member of the Business Litigation section and Appellate Practice Group. Scott practices principally in the areas of:
- Business Litigation
- Appellate practice
- Banking law
- Bond defaults and litigation
While in law school, Scott was a research editor for the Minnesota Law Review.
Prior to joining Briggs, Scott practiced with the firm of Latham and Watkins in its Washington, D.C. office.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- In re Petition for Instructions to Construe Basic Resolution 876 of the Port Authority of the City of Saint Paul - Dispute between issuer of industrial development revenue bonds and holders of those bonds.
- Lundeen v. Canadian Pacific Railway Co. (toxic torts, federal preemption)
- Nixon v. Missouri Municipal League, 541 U.S. 125 (amicus representation)
- Plains Commerce Bank v. Long Family Land & Cattle Co., Inc. (amicus representation - tribal law)
- Responsible Governance for Roseville v. City of Roseville (defend challenge to bond issue)
- Breach of trust action against corporate trust department of bank.
- Conducted statutory and regulatory analysis to assist in drafting contract regarding use of railroad tracks by state commuter trains.
- Defended railroad against dozens of personal injury and property damage claims arising out of fuel spillage (multi-week trial ending in a defense verdict)
- Represented farmers and ranchers who were denied due process in the issuance of an order by a state agency denying them the exercise of their water rights to irrigate their crops and water their livestock.
- Represented a national retailer of music instruments with information technology needs in marketing, enterprise resource planning, big data analytics, inventory management, back office services and other services.
- Represented private school in matter concerning defamation and anonymous Internet speech.
- Represented long-distance company in state commission complaint proceeding against company not properly certificated by state commission.
- Represented a long-distance company in obtaining an injunction for a tribal court from adjudicating a Tribal Telephone Company's collection action.
- Defended thousands of claims and numerous trials stemming out of a North Dakota derailment.
- Successful representation of trustee in a fee dispute. After trial by court, the Court of Appeals affirmed district court award of approximately $8 million in trustee fees.
American Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Ramsey County Bar Association, Member
Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Chapter (Former Board of Directors)
- Board of Directors
- Executive and Finance Committees
Northern Star Council of Boy Scouts of America
- Board of Directors
District of Columbia Bar Association, Member
St. Paul School Board, Co-Chair (3 years); Citizens' Advisory Budget and Finance Committee
- July 10, 2017
- Briggs and Morgan and Industry Professionals Discuss the DOL Fiduciary/Conflict of Interest Rule (Fiduciary Duty Rule) and Related Prohibited Transaction ExemptionsNovember 7, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- July 21, 2014
- June 18, 2014
- July 4, 2008
- The DOL Fiduciary Duty Rule: Trick or Treat, Presenter, "The DOL Fiduciary Duty Rule: Impact on Public Finance," October 31, 2016
- Graves 601 Hotel 601 1st Avenue North Minneapolis, MN 55403, June 14, 2013