Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 2007, Summa Cum Laude
- Dean's List
Hamline University, B.A., 2004, Summa Cum Laude
- Dean's List
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Sarah Edstrom Smith is a member of the Financial Institutions and Real Estate section and practices primarily in the areas of:
- Real estate sales and acquisitions
- Land use and zoning
- Commercial leasing
- Real estate development
- Real estate finance
- Commercial finance
Sarah concentrates a significant portion of her practice on representing corporate and individual clients in all types of real estate acquisition, financing, development, leasing and sale transactions, including residential and mixed use condominium developments. She assists these clients with all aspects of a transaction, from addressing title and survey issues, and securing financing before, during and following construction, to handling development and land use issues. Sarah also serves the firm’s clients with the drafting and negotiation of easements, declarations, restrictive covenants and other real estate-related documents.
In the community, Sarah volunteers her legal skills to a large, local nonprofit organization that provides affordable housing to low-income families, offering counsel on the negotiation and drafting of purchase agreements, restrictive covenants and easements, and condominium and planned community documents. Sarah has also been a part of the Volunteer Lawyers Network Housing Court Project, offering advice to qualified parties with matters before the Hennepin County Housing Court.
In law school, Sarah served as an articles editor of the Hamline Law Review and, in 2006, authored "Should the Eighth Circuit Continue to be the Loan Ranger? A Look at the Totality of Circumstances Test for Discharging Student Loans Under the Undue Hardship Exception in Bankruptcy." She also served as a legal research and writing instructor.
- Lender's counsel for a national bank in connection with a working capital line of credit to wholesaler of certified organic ingredients to the organic food industry.
- Lender's counsel for a regional bank in connection with a $27 million working capital line of credit and term loan to temporary staffing agency.
- Lender's counsel for a regional bank in connection with a $30 million working capital line of credit to pre-cast concrete manufacturer.
- Lender's counsel for a regional bank in connection with a loan to natural gas pipeline builder and operator.
- Representation of national retail restaurant client for its leasing portfolio.
- Represented city and its HRA in the preparation of a development agreement for a 300+ acre, mixed use development.
- Represented national home builder in documentation for single family and multifamily residential developments.
- Represented private equity firm in connection with the assumption of a commercial airline maintenance facility ground lease and related agreements.
- Representation of national retail coffee house client in its leasing of new sites.
Risk Management Association, Member, Women's Forum Steering Committee
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
- September 15, 2014
- November 7, 2007