William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., Cum Laude, 1980
University of Minnesota, B.S., 1976
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Chief Judge Edward McManus, United States District Court, Northern District of Iowa
Robert King is a trial lawyer with more than 35 years of experience representing individuals and families in complex personal injury cases in state and federal courts throughout the Midwest. He has extensive experience in cases involving medical negligence and product defect and has tried virtually all types of personal injury matters. Bob also handles commercial, insurance, trust and estate, and class action lawsuits. A significant portion of his work comes on referral from other attorneys.
Bob a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the International Society of Barristers, and an Associate in the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), all of which are invitation-only trial lawyer organizations. He is a former President of the Minnesota chapter of ABOTA. Bob is certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association and board certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is a former dean of the Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers of Minnesota and is also certified as a Medical Professional Liability Specialist by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys. Bob is a frequent lecturer in the areas of medical negligence, products liability and trial practice.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Associate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Top 100 Super Lawyers, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Perennial listing
- AV-Preeminent rating, Martindale Hubbell
Bob's experience includes representation of:
- Man who lost his leg because of negligent failure to promptly treat his crush fracture of the pelvis and iliac artery injury. Obtained a $1.95 million settlement.
- Client who required revision lumbar fusion surgery. He suffered cauda equina syndrome and was left with paraparesis, paresthesias, neurogenic bladder and bowel, erectile dysfunction, and spasticity due to medical negligence. Obtained a $1.5 million settle
- Husband and father of adult children who was killed in a motor vehicle collision. Obtained a $1.45 million settlement.
- The family of a woman who suffered brain injuries in a car accident that ultimately led to her death. She was survived by her husband, adult children by former marriage, grandchildren, and her mother. She was employed. Obtained a $1.2 million settlement.
- Railroad engineer who suffered a low back injury when his train hit a semi tractor trailer that improperly came into the crossing. Obtained a $1.14 million jury verdict against trucking company.
- Family of a man who died due to the negligent delay in diagnosing and treating bacterial endocarditis. Obtained a $950,000 settlement
- Woman who required amputation of all the toes of one foot and suffered loss of function of the leg due to medical negligence. Obtained a $900,000 settlement.
- Surgeon denied long term disability benefits. Obtained a $550,000 settlement.
- Client who suffered unilateral hearing loss and tinnitus due to the negligent failure to timely diagnose and treat a MRSA infection. Obtained a $500,000 settlement.
- Woman who sustained tibial plateau fracture when she fell on black ice on a car dealership parking lot. Obtained a $500,000 verdict.
- Client who underwent a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Her left and right hepatic ducts were transected as a result of medical negligence and she required reconstructive surgery. Obtained a $440,000 settlement.
- Family of young girl who was killed in an all-terrain vehicle accident. Obtained a $418,000 settlement.
- Laborer who was blinded in one eye when steel aligning punch failed. Obtained a $313,000 verdict against international tool manufacturer.
- Young boy who suffered a C1 fracture and was rendered quadriplegic after airbag improperly deployed in a low impact rear end accident. Confidential product liability settlement against international auto manufacturer one week before trial.
- Small child who suffered brain injury when his car seat failed. Confidential product liability settlement against car seat manufacturer on 1st day of trial.
- Husband and father who suffered mild traumatic brain injury in Wisconsin automobile collision. Obtained $670,000 settlement.
- Man suffered shoulder injury in automobile collision. Obtained $215,000 settlement.
- Man who lost the vision in one eye in a South Dakota hunting accident. Obtained $400,000 settlement.
- Minnesota man injured in Iowa automobile collision. Obtained confidential settlement of a legal negligence claim against his initial Minnesota attorney for missing the Iowa statute of limitations.
- Mother of two who died as result of medical negligence. Obtained confidential settlement shortly before trial.
- Obtained confidential settlement of a long-term disability case on behalf of a Minnesota general surgeon.
- Young child who suffered brain injury when his car seat failed. Confidential product liability settlement against car seat manufacturer on 1st day of trial.
American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
International Society of Barristers, Fellow
- State Membership Chair
American Board of Trial Advocates, Associate
- Former Minnesota Chapter President
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers of Minnesota, Member
- Former Dean
Douglas K. Amdahl Inn of Court, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Federal Bar Association, Member
American Association for Justice
Minnesota Association for Justice, Board Member
Fund for the Legal Aid Society, Board of Directors, 1993-Present
Blaisdell YMCA, Former President, Board of Directors
William Mitchell College of Law, Former President, Alumni Association
- July 5, 2018
- August 16, 2017
- July 10, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- April 12, 2016
- November 20, 2014
- August 22, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- April 1, 2014
- November 20, 2014