University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1995, Cum Laude
University of Minnesota, M.A., 1996
University of Illinois, M.A., 1991
Trinity University, B.A., 1990, Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
Phil Schenkenberg is co-chair of the firm’s Business Litigation section, and is a member of the Telecommunications group and the Privacy, Data Security and Cybersecurity group. He also serves as the firm’s Data Security Manager and chairs the firm’s Information Security Committee. Phil practices principally in the areas of:
- Telecommunications litigation
- Telecommunications regulatory matters
- Data security and cyber security
- Banking litigation
- Business litigation
Phil's position as the firm's Data Security Manager has provided him with valuable perspective as he advises clients on data and cyber security issues. In his role in the Privacy and Data Security practice group, Phil offers a full range of services to help clients prevent, prepare for and minimize the impact of security breaches and cyber attacks.
Phil is also active in the data security industry. He is a member of the InfraGard (Minnesota chapter), a non-profit organization creating a partnership between U.S. businesses and the FBI, focusing on the development, management and protection of infrastructure. Phil also serves on the Cyber Security Summit's board of advisors.
As a member of the Telecommunications practice group, Phil has represented clients before the FCC, more than 20 state public utilities commissions, and in federal and state courts.
Phil has handled numerous complex intercarrier compensation disputes in federal and state courts, including disputes regarding traffic pumping, wireless traffic and VOIP traffic.
Phil has represented wireless and landline carriers in interconnection negotiations in more than 30 states, and in multiple interconnection arbitrations conducted in accordance with the 1996 Telecommunications Act. Recently, these arbitrations have included the manner in which parties interconnect using Internet protocol (IP Interconnection).
He has also worked with clients to draft and negotiate IRU and fiber sale contracts, and to resolve disputes arising under such agreements.
In his regulatory practice, Phil has assisted clients in developing regulatory compliance programs, drafted comments for federal and state rulemaking proceedings and worked with clients involved in corporate transactions with other designated entities. He has also drafted and filed comments in federal and state rulemaking proceedings, addressing interconnection, compensation and universal service obligations.
Phil has worked with clients to develop and file comments in FCC and state proceedings addressing regulatory requirements applicable to wireless carriers.
Phil’s banking litigation practice is focused on the representation of lenders and the enforcement of creditors’ remedies. Phil has litigated loan participation disputes, handled large commercial foreclosure cases and successfully enforced the terms of loan documents.
Phil has handled a wide variety of general litigation matters and has tried cases in Minnesota state courts, the Minnesota Tax Court, and federal courts in Minnesota, South Dakota and Virginia.
While in law school, Phil was an editor of the Minnesota Law Review.
Phil's representative work includes:
Minnesota State Bar, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
InfraGard (Minnesota chapter), Member
Cyber Security Summit, Board of Advisors
Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States
St. Paul Festival and Heritage Foundation
Minnesota Golden Games, presenting the 2015 National Senior Games
- November 1, 2016
- August 26, 2016
- August 12, 2016
- Briggs Partners with 2016 Cyber Security Summit to Educate Small, Mid-Size Businesses on Data SecurityJuly 14, 2016
- April 8, 2016
- March 9, 2016
- May 2015
- March 27, 2015
- September 5, 2014
- May 19, 2014
- May 13, 2014
- March 3, 2014
- September 30, 2013
- April 3, 2012
- September 2013
- "Cyber Crime Liability and Insurance Issues Panel," Panel Member, Risk and Insurance Management Society2013
- "Connect America Fund Panel," Panel Member, Minnesota CLE Communications Law Forum2012
- "Firstcom v. Qwest: The Filed-Rate and Interconnection Agreements," Minnesota State Bar Association2009
- "New FCC Requirements for CETC Applicants and Existing CETCs," CQA Mobile CETC Workshop2006
- Attorneys Phil Schenkenberg and Lauren Lonergan author "Cyber Insurance Coverage Disputes: Not What Your Company Expected"July 14, 2016
- Attorney Phil Schekenberg Authors "4 Tips for Involving Legal Counsel in Cyber Security Investigations"May 13, 2015CyberSecurityBusiness.com
- October 25, 2013
- Alert: Effective October 16, New Consent Requirements Apply to Telemarketing Robocalls and Text MessagesOctober 15, 2013
- February 6, 2013
- Alert: Sweeping FCC Order Will Require Close Review of Change-of-Law Provisions in Intercarrier Compensation AgreementsDecember 2, 2011
- January 3, 2008