Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1985
University of Notre Dame, M.A., 1982
College of St. Thomas, B.A., 1980, Summa Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- Minnesota Supreme Court
Neal Buethe is head of the firm’s Employment, Benefits and Labor section. He is co-chair of the firm’s Nonprofit practice group and head of the Education practice group. Neal also is a former member and secretary of the firm’s board of directors. He practices principally in the areas of:
- Employment litigation and counseling
- Nonprofit organization and education law
- Trust litigation
- Executive contract review, drafting and negotiation
- Commercial litigation and shareholder disputes
Neal has more than 25 years of experience in complex commercial litigation and employment law cases, both trial and appeal. He has litigated major shareholder disputes (with particular experience in disputes between medical professionals); discrimination, arbitration and harassment suits; employee theft claims; the enforcement of covenants not to compete; and significant trust cases, serving as counsel to both beneficiaries and trustees.
In addition to his litigation work, a large percentage of Neal’s practice involves representing several major private foundations, public charities, religious organizations and social service agencies as their general counsel. He advises these clients on corporate governance, tax compliance, employment and other aspects of nonprofit law and has specific familiarity with unique legal issues regarding religious organizations. He also has been counsel to the members of a statewide professional educators’ association for more than 25 years and handled more than 150 cases in that role.
Neal is a qualified neutral under Minnesota Practice Rule 114. He is an adjunct instructor at the University of Minnesota Law School, where he teaches appellate advocacy.
Neal has published employment law articles in Minnesota Bench & Bar, William Mitchell Law Review and Hamline Law Review. Since 1989, his article on "Covenants Not to Compete in the Sale of a Business" has been used nationwide in the Matthew Bender Business Torts series. He is a regular contributor to Briggs and Morgan’s employment law blog, MinnesotaEmployer.com
While in law school, Neal was an editor of the Notre Dame Law Review and received the International Academy of Trial Lawyers award.
Honors & Awards
- Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Employment Law, Best Lawyers
- Defended employer against claims of disability discrimination, reprisal and aiding and abetting, violation of Minnesota's whistleblower statute, negligence and intentional interference with economic advantage.
- Represent a major state-wide Foundation as its general counsel.
- Represent major Twin Cities public charities as its general counsel.
- Represented political associations and parties in recount campaign finance and PAC matters.
- Representing a religious community involving general employment matters, including in regard to insurance matters, personnel issues and compliance with Minnesota law.
St. Paul Area Chamber of Commerce, Board Member
National Association of College and University Attorneys, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Certified Labor and Employment Law Specialist
Conciliation Court Referee, Ramsey County District Court (2005-Present)
- August 16, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- August 22, 2014
- Breakfast Briefing SeriesApril 20, 2016
- THIS EVENT IS FULL.May 5, 2015