University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 1989, Magna Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
University of Iowa, M.A., 1989
University of Iowa, B.B.A., 1986, Summa Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
Nancy Aiken is a member of the firm's board of directors and has 25 years of experience representing a wide variety of clients in a broad range of industries including real estate, self-storage, telecommunications, automotive, financial services and private equity investors. She practices primarily in the areas of:
- Mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
- General corporate and business counseling
- Financing, securities and private equity
- Hart-Scott-Rodino filings and pre-merger clearance
Nancy joined Briggs in 1989 as an associate. In 1995, she left the firm to take a position as senior counsel for Koch Industries, Inc. until 2000 when she returned to Briggs as a shareholder. Nancy has served the firm as treasurer, vice president, a member of the board of directors and on various committees.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
Nancy represents buyers and sellers in a wide variety of domestic stock and asset transactions, typically in the private sector. She also advises clients in joint venture transactions and equity investments. Structures have included partnerships, limited liability companies and corporations, general and limited.
General Corporate and Business Counseling
Nancy advises clients in a broad array of business matters, including corporate strategy and structure, capitalization, reorganizations, restructurings, conversions and dissolutions. She works with tax advisors, as well as financial and estate planners to structure transactions and business holdings in the most efficient manner. Nancy also has experience in drafting and negotiating contracts of all types and handling a variety of commercial transactions. She advises directors, management and shareholders and other equity holders in governance and fiduciary duties, buy-sell agreements and other equity holder arrangements.
Financing, Securities, and Private Equity
Nancy’s experience in this sector involves a variety of financing transactions, including acquisition financings for borrowers and investors, advising clients in securities matters and representing clients in private placements of equity and debt.
In connection with her mergers and acquisitions practice, Nancy advises clients in the preparation and filing of Hart-Scott-Rodino filings and assists with pre-merger clearance matters.
- Assisted in the sale of a privately held producer of food products through a merger with a strategic acquirer.
- Regularly represent a regional private equity and mezzanine debt fund sponsor with fund formation, investment syndication, platform and add-on transactions, divestitures, reorganizations and recapitalizations.
- Represented a major league baseball team in its issuance and compliance with a $215 million bond obligation used to finance the development and construction of their new ballpark.
- Represented a national private equity company in a series of acquisitions of construction equipment manufacturing companies.
- Represented a publicly traded company in its merger with another publicly traded company in a global transaction involving North American, Central American and European markets valued at $7.8 billion, creating one of the world's largest beverage companies.
- Represented acquired entity in FTC merger investigation that was not challenged by the FTC.
- Represented of a global distributor of medical supplies with respect to all United States based mergers and acquisitions since 2000, including major distribution sectors and information technology acquisitions and licensing.
- Served as Principal American Liaison to a Canadian real estate investment trust focused on the ownership and operation of industrial properties in the U.S.
- November 14, 2016
- March 2, 2016
- March 3, 2014
- February 19, 2009
- February 19, 2008