University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1993, Cum Laude
St. John's University, B.S., 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Honorable Ann D. Montgomery, U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- Honorable Gary Larson, Hennepin County District Court of Minnesota
Mike Lafeber is co-chair of Briggs’ Intellectual Property section. He specializes in defending and maximizing the value of his clients’ intellectual property. Mike has litigated more than 100 intellectual property related matters in United States District Court, including 31 patent infringement matters, 75 trademark infringement matters and 13 copyright infringement matters. Mike has also handled more than 40 contested proceedings filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
While Mike is a veteran of more than 20 trials and arbitration hearings, his main goal has been and always will be to cost effectively achieve his clients’ business objectives. As a result, Mike has been involved in a much larger number of intellectual property disputes which have resolved without the need for litigation.
Mike’s practice is national in scope, with appearances in United States District Courts in Minnesota, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin.
Honors & Awards
- Top 40 Intellectual Property Attorney
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Obtained dismissal of trademark infringement and counterfeiting claims brought by Fortune 500 networking company against computer reseller.
- Obtained dismissal of inequitable conduct claim following week-long bench trial.
- Successfully defended California “Right of Publicity” claim.
- Defended client against claims of trademark infringement and counterfeiting.
- Developed and implemented copyright strategy for protecting original designs for manufactured quartz surfaces.
- Obtained complete dismissal of seven figure breach of patent license agreement claim following week-long arbitration hearing.
- Obtained favorable Markman ruling adopting clients’ claim interpretations in their entirety resulting in multimillion dollar settlement.
- Obtained jury verdict of non-infringement following week long patent infringement trial.
- Obtained preliminary injunction in patent infringement litigation mandating the shutdown of music sampling systems in Fortune 500 company’s retail stores throughout the United States.
- Obtained preliminary injunction preventing the shutdown of Fortune 500 client’s enterprise management software due to allegations of copyright infringement.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of trade secret infringement claims against defendant, which was affirmed by the 7th Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of trade dress claims against the key product line of a large international toy manufacturer and distributor.
- Represented Lion’s Tap in a much publicized “David vs. Goliath” trademark infringement lawsuit.
- Successfully gained control of Chinese trademark registration from Chinese infringer.
- Successfully prosecuted copyright infringement action on behalf of author against large international publishing company.
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association, Chair, Trademark Committee
American Bar Association, Co-Chair, Intellectual Property Roundtable Committee
Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Former Director, 1997-2001
- Former Chairperson, New Lawyers Section, 1995-1997
Defense Research Institute, Former Chairperson, Young Lawyers Corporate Counsel Committee, 2000-2001
- August 16, 2017
- Mike Lafeber’s “Hall of Mirrors: 3D Printing and IP Law,” Article Published in Bench & Bar of MinnesotaJuly 31, 2017
- Briggs and Morgan Attorneys Kristine Boylan and Mike Lafeber Present “Guarding your Trademarks and Copyrights in the Digital Age”September 21, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- September 12, 2014
- September 25, 2013
- November 17, 2011
- September 21, 2011
- February 11, 2011
- What you need to know about injunctions and damages in patent infringement cases.Venue: University of Minnesota Law School - Room 25, April 26, 2016
- Venue: University of Minnesota Law School - Room 25, April 29, 2015
- Briggs and Morgan, February 11, 2015
- February 10, 2015
- University of Minnesota Law School - Room 25, May 21, 2014
- "Patent and Trademark Settlement Agreements: 'The Little Shop of Horrors!' Avoiding Common Mistakes and Pitfalls," The 2013 Midwest Intellectual Property InstituteSeptember 26, 2013
- "The America Invents Act: 'New and Improved' Post Grant Review?" Second Annual University of Minnesota Law School Patent SymposiumApril 12, 2013
- "Hot Topics in IP Litigation: The ITC as a Venue for Patent Cases," The 2012 Midwest Intellectual Property InstituteOctober 15, 2012
- September 26, 2012
- "Trademark Infringement Litigation," University of St. Thomas School of Law Guest LectureMarch 26, 2012
- "Trademarks v. The Internet: Protecting Your Brand Online"February 3, 2012
- November 16, 2011
- "Navigating the Waters of IP Settlements: Bringing Your Case to Dock," Moderator, Midwest Intellectual Property InstituteSeptember 2011
- 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. | Klas Center, Hamline University, St. Paul, April 16, 2010
- 8 – 10:30 a.m. | Briggs and Morgan, Minneapolis, December 2, 2009
- "Intellectual Property: Basics, Issues & Strategy for Technology Ventures," The University of St. Thomas Schulze School of Entrepreneurship Guest LectureNovember 9, 2009
- Noon – 1 p.m. | Briggs and Morgan, Minneapolis | 1.0 CLE Credit Applied For, June 18, 2009
- "Protecting and Defending Your Trademark Seminar," Briggs and MorganMarch 2009
- January 29, 2009
- "Trademark Law vs. The Internet: What Business Lawyers Need to Know"November 13, 2008
- "The Evolvement of IPRs and its Management," MarkPatent.Org Annual International Symposium, IndiaFebruary 2008
- ALERT: Don’t be Fooled by Bogus Operators Claiming You Need to Take Action on Your Trademarks or PatentsApril 25, 2017
- May 3, 2016
- June 18, 2015
- January 23, 2015
- “The Innovation Act of 2013” – Representative Goodlatte Introduces New Bill Seeking to Curb Perceived Patent Litigation AbusesOctober 28, 2013
- October 25, 2013
- "Fresenius USA, Inc. v. Baxter Intern., Inc. - Federal Circuit Decision Further Promotes Administrative Review of Patents"July 9, 2013
- "Already v. Nike: The IP Owner’s Ability to Control the Existence of a Justiciable Case or Controversy," The Midwest Intellectual Property Institute’s 2013 IP Book2013
- March 27, 2013
- March 7, 2013
- February 22, 2013
- "Already v. Nike: Exploring the Boundaries of an IP Owner’s Ability to Control the Existence of a Justiciable Case or Controversy," ABA Intellectual Property Roundtable National Discussion OutlineJanuary 2013
- December 12, 2012
- September 11, 2012
- September 7, 2012
- " American Institute of Physics and John Wiley & Sons v. Schwegman Ludberg – First Battle Won by Copyright Owners"July 24, 2012
- "Did Rosetta Stone v. Google Change The Trademark Infringement Landscape for Keyword Advertising?" ABA Intellectual Property Roundtable National Discussion OutlineMay 2012
- May 2, 2012
- "Kappos v. Hyatt: Standard of Review of Patent Office Appeals to the District Court," The Midwest Intellectual Property Institute’s 2012 IP Book2012
- September 27, 2011
- "What’s Hot in IP Law? Top Case Law Developments," ABA Intellectual Property Roundtable National Discussion OutlineSeptember 2011
- September 19, 2011
- June 2, 2011
- "False Patent Marking Claims Under Attack: Heightened Pleading Standards, Constitutional Challenges and Legislative Action," The Midwest Intellectual Property Institute’s 2011 IP Book2011
- January 13, 2011
- July 7, 2010
- "Beware the New Patent Trolls: False Patent Marking Claims After Forest Group v. Bon Tool," The Midwest Intellectual Property Institute’s 2010 IP Book2010
- "Copyright Protection in the Digital Age: Google Book Settlement and Beyond," ABA Intellectual Property Roundtable National Discussion OutlineNovember 2008
- "The Dilution Dilemma: Litigating Dilution Claims and the Trademark Dilution Revision Act of 2005," ABA Intellectual Property RoundtableDecember 2005
- "An Overview of the Traditional Law of Copyrights, Trademarks & Patents," Minnesota Defense MagazineSummer 2001