Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 2008, Magna Cum Laude, Dean's List, CALI awards
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S., 2005
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Mike Kaphing practices principally in the areas of:
- General commercial litigation
- Energy and utility industry litigation
- Legal malpractice defense
- Banking litigation
- Real estate foreclosure
- Land use and planning and zoning litigation
- Judgment enforcement and collections
- Lease disputes
As part of his litigation practice, Mike has handled a variety of disputes involving business contracts, utility property damage, right-of-way disputes, loan defaults, commercial leases, land use and real estate matters and has successfully represented a broad range of clients in all phases of litigation through appeal and judgment enforcement.
Prior to joining Briggs, he worked in the gas field and also as a law clerk for a Fortune 500 gas and electric utility company.
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Achievement in Labor Law, Minnesota State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Regularly successfully defend law firms against legal malpractice claims.
- Represented defendant in wrongful death construction site case.
- Successfully opposed and defeated proposed land use through writ of certiorari.
- Successfully represented individuals in wetland use dispute with local government through administrative process and Court of Appeals.
Minnesota Children's Museum, Board of Directors