Hamline University, J.D., Magna Cum Laude
St. Cloud State University, B.A., Honor Roll
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
Matt is a Chambers and Partners-ranked construction attorney and member of the board of directors of Briggs and Morgan, Professional Association. Matt practices principally in the areas of:
- Land use and development
- Construction law and litigation
- Environmental regulatory matters
- Administrative and regulatory matters
- Business litigation
Matt's diverse background and experience with development, environmental and construction matters afforded him the opportunity to represent the Minnesota Vikings for the past four years in connection with the design, development, construction and operation of U.S. Bank Stadium, the largest public/private project ever completed in Minnesota. Matt also represents the Minnesota Children's Museum with the renovation and reconfiguration of its iconic Saint Paul location.
Matt focuses his land use practice on environmental, zoning and permitting issues affecting industrial, commercial and residential development. In conjunction with his administrative law and land use practices, Matt regularly represents public utilities in connection with the permitting and siting of power plant facilities, electric transmission lines and substations in Minnesota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Matt also represents governmental and quasi-governmental units in connection with zoning and public procurement issues. He also regularly represents a number of national and local solid waste management companies in litigation and administrative proceedings, as well as legislative policy development, environmental review and tax proceedings.
With eighteen years of experience in complex litigation, arbitration and transactional matters, Matt specializes in the representation of national and local developers, lenders, contractors and design professionals in connection with contract negotiations, construction claim administration, insurance coverage and surety issues. He also serves his contractor and design professional clients as a business consultant and regularly assists with regulatory compliance and licensing issues across the country.
Matt focuses his telecommunications practice in the areas of federal universal service and interconnection matters. Matt has represented numerous national and regional wireless telecommunications carriers in federal court proceedings, before the FCC and before more than twenty state regulatory agencies.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers and Partners, Construction
- Minnesota Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Currently representing international joint-venture with design and construction of enriched aquaculture feed plant and negotiation of EPC contract with ENR Top 50 contractor.
- Currently representing professional team with close-out of significant stadium project.
- Currently representing nationally-renowned organization with $25M renovation of iconic museum building and refresh of all gallery exhibits.
- Currently representing museum organization with multiple license agreements for design and fabrication of branded traveling exhibits.
- Currently representing developer of 200-unit high amenity lakefront apartment complex.
- Currently representing developer with construction management agreement for public-private partnership development of mixed-use project and associated amenities.
- Currently representing developer with redevelopment of historic Minneapolis retail building.
- Currently representing developer with redevelopment of Saint Paul riverfront property.
- Currently representing developer with land use and permitting approvals for 100-unit townhome development.
- Currently representing religious organization with major renovation and construction of new education facility.
- Currently representing public utility with negotiation of county-level utility zoning ordinances.
- Currently representing real estate management company with negotiation of municipal storm water district ordinance.
- Recently represented religious organization with $15M renovation and expansion of synagogue and education center.
- Recently represented real estate investment group with construction contracting for multiple commercial warehouse projects across the country.
- Recently represented real estate investment group with construction contracting for multiple build-to-suit commercial office projects.
- Recently represented national restaurant chain with development of master services agreements for design and construction of free standing restaurant projects.
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member, Construction Section Council
- May 3, 2018
- August 16, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- February 22, 2017
- May 27, 2016
- March 2, 2016
- December 15, 2008
- December 11, 2007