William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., Cum Laude
University of Minnesota at Duluth, B.S.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Kodi Verhalen is a member of the Energy section and is licensed in Minnesota and Wisconsin. She also is licensed as a professional engineer in Minnesota and will serve as the 2016-2017 president of the National Society of Professional Engineers – a 31,000-member organization. Kodi will be the youngest person, and the third woman, in the organization’s history to hold the office of president.
Before joining Briggs, Kodi worked in the environmental services department of a Minnesota electric utility company in the areas of hazardous and universal waste compliance, greenhouse gas reporting, ISO 14001 compliance, stormwater pollution prevention for linear transmission projects, and local, state and federal permitting for transmission projects.
Although she primarily serves clients in the areas of energy and the environment, Kodi’s practice also involves assisting clients with general legal issues, including confidentiality and conflicts of interest for engineering firms. Kodi is a qualified neutral under Minnesota Practice Rule 114 and serves as a mediator for the Hennepin County Court Pro Bono Mediation Project.
Kodi’s work includes environmental due diligence as part of mergers and acquisitions, obtaining state certificates of need and route permits from the Public Utilities Commission for transmission lines and generation facilities, obtaining other regulatory approvals from the Public Utilities Commission for energy companies, counseling clients on various real estate, environmental and natural resources matters, and assisting clients in obtaining state and federal permits, licenses and approvals for electric transmission projects.
Kodi has presented on revisions to regulations governing incidental take permits under the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act and counseled clients on obtaining these permits. Additionally, Kodi counsels clients on natural resource law issues.
While in law school, Kodi served as an editor for Cybaris, an Intellectual Property Law Review.
Kodi joined Briggs as an associate in 2010.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE), 2012
- Young Engineer of the Year, Minnesota Society of Professional Engineers (MnSPE), 2010
- Counseled client on conflict of interest issues related to signed agreements and oblications with respect to Professional Engineer licenses.
- Counseled client on requirements to obtain a Take Permit under the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. Assist Client in obtaining said permit.
- Developed Certificate of Need and Route Permit applications for 115 kV and 345 kV transmission projects.
- Guided client through local review permit process in lieu of seeking Commission approval for small 115 kV transmission projects.
- Guided clients through Minnesota Certificate of Need and Route Permit process. Prepared witness for Certificate of Need and Route Permit public and evidentiary hearings, drafted testimony, and appeared on behalf of applicants before the ALJ.
- Provided general legal assistance and counsel on various land rights and real estate matters that arise, including trespass, prescriptive rights, easements and lease negotiations.
- Represented power generation entity regarding the design and construction projects using various project delivery systems including EPC, design, supply, furnish and install.
- Strategized response to agency comments on Route Permit that client believed went beyond authority under Rules.
American Bar Association, Member
Federal Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
Minnesota Society of Professional Engineers, Member
- State President, 2010-2011
Minnesota Professional Engineers Foundation
- Board of Directors, Director, 2011-Present
National Society of Professional Engineers
- Vice President, 2014-2015
- Board of Directors, North Central Region Director, 2012-2014
- House of Delegates, Minnesota, 2009-2013
- July 10, 2017
- September 14, 2016
- November 18, 2010