Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 1995, Dean's List
Columbia University, B.A., 1988
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Kari Berman is a member of the Business Litigation section and has been practicing law since 1995. Her experience has involved a broad range of business issues, including all types of contractual disputes, environmental issues, employment law, ERISA, SEC litigation, products liability, tort claims and appellate representation.
Prior to joining Briggs, Kari served as president of a boutique law firm she founded, handling a variety of commercial disputes. These matters included contractual disputes; shareholder, partnership and limited liability company ownership disputes; real property issues; franchise issues; business tort claims; and other related legal matters.
Kari’s past work experience also includes work as a resolution attorney for The St. Paul Companies, where she was responsible for monitoring and auditing outside counsel.
In 2004, Kari completed a fellowship from the Hubert Humphrey Institute Policy Forum in public policy at the University of Minnesota. She is is currently an adjunct professor at the St. Thomas University School of Law.
Gov. Tim Pawlenty named Kari one of seven governor-appointed members of the Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Commission, an appointment she held until 2011.
In 2003, Gov. Pawlenty also appointed Kari as a commissioner of the Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC); she was reappointed in 2005. In this role, Kari and her fellow commissioners were responsible for overseeing and managing the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, as well as its six reliever airports.
Honors & Awards
- Survivors Offering Assistance in Recovery (SOAR), The Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Argued complex merger/acquisition dispute before the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Counseled on defense of preference, fraudulent conveyance and other clawback matters for several clients.
- Defended clawback claim asserted by the state court receiver.
- Defended company involved in the Tom Petters Ponzi scheme litigation for which substantial amounts are being sought under clawback theories.
- Defended former regional manager and new employer in action by former employer seeking damages and injunctive relief relating to manager's noncompetition agreement.
- Drafted clawback related legislation; amendment to Minn. Stat. § 541.12 for the protection of charities that received money from Tom Petters' Ponzi scheme activities.
- Provided drafting and analysis services in connection with a recent amendment to Minn. Stat. § 513.41(12).
- Represented financial lending company sued by clawback defendants in Ponzi scheme related litigation.
- Represented private lender and affiliates as creditors in receivership involving $3.5 billion Ponzi scheme and in related Chapter 11 bankruptcies in Minnesota.
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines Commission, Member
Metropolitan Airports Commission, Former Commissioner
William Mitchell College of Law, National Security Forum, Advisory Committee Member
- March 20, 2018
- February 22, 2017
- November 14, 2016
- March 14, 2007
- 8:30 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. | Minnesota CLE Seminar, January 11, 2010
- "Hot Topics in Corporate Ethics and Professional Responsibility," Panelist, Thomson CLEDecember 2007
- National Security and Civil Liberties panel, Panelist, Clarion LegalDecember 2006