William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2001
St. Cloud State University, B.A., 1998, Magna Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
Justin is head of the Real Estate Development practice at Briggs and Morgan. He focuses his practice in the areas of:
- Real estate development
- Outside general counsel
- Bank workouts
- Liquor and hospitality
Justin brings a team approach to representation, tapping the depth of experience at Briggs and Morgan to ensure his clients have the best possible legal representation.
Justin's construction and development practice includes document drafting, financing litigation, mechanic's lien, development agreements and acquisition, leasing, sale of real estate, and general counsel before, during and after projects.
Justin also represents banks and institutional lenders in workouts, lender liability litigation and mortgage foreclosures.
A frequent lecturer, Justin presents in public classes as well as private individualized presentations tailored for clients. Recent publications and speaking engagements include:
- Foreclosure Conference, Minnesota CLE, June 11-12, 2012: "Pseudo Foreclosure"
- Real Estate Institute, Minnesota CLE, 2010-2016: "Foreclosure Basics"; "7 Things Lawyers Need to Know About Agricultural Real Estate" 3 separate titles; "Forbearance Agreements, Deeds in Lieu and Voluntary Foreclosures"
- Business Institute, Minnesota CLE 2010: "Business Owner Divorce"
- Minnesota River Builders Association Education Blast, 2006-2014: "Mechanics Lien Basic"; "How to Get Paid"; "Legislative Updates"; "Minnesota's Statutory Warranties"; "Contract Basics"
Honors & Awards
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
In his representative experience, Justin has:
- Represented a corporation in union negotiations, successfully reaching a new collective bargaining agreement
- Represented financial institutions in workouts of complex, multimillion dollar credit facilities
- Represented construction companies in multimillion dollar projects, ranging from the initial contract to disputes over sums owed or alleged defective work
- Served as outside general counsel for businesses of all sizes, to address legal needs without incurring the overhead of a full-time, in-house attorney
- Represented a national student housing entity in acquisition and development of multi-million dollar projects across the nation
- Represented a regional brewery in all aspects of craft beer operations, including distribution, employee issues and brand development
- Represented local developers in platting and development of land for use and sale
- Represented regional restaurant franchisors and families in development of new stores
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member
Iowa State Bar Associations, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Minnesota Craft Brewer's Guild, Member
- June 1, 2017
- September 1, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- November 16, 2015
- November 20, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- November 20, 2014