William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2001
St. Cloud State University, B.A., 1998, Magna Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
Justin is a member of the Financial Institutions and Real Estate section at Briggs and Morgan. He focuses his practice in the areas of:
- Corporate law
- Construction and development
Justin assists a wide range of clients with both transactional and litigation needs. As a litigator, Justin has represented clients in state and federal district court, state and federal appellate court and in arbitration.
Justin brings a team approach to representation, tapping the depth of experience at Briggs and Morgan to ensure his clients have the best possible legal representation.
Justin's construction and development practice includes document drafting, litigation, mechanic's lien, development agreements and acquisition, leasing, sale of real estate and general counsel before, during and after projects.
Justin also represents banks and institutional lenders in all aspects of financial transactions, including the structuring, negotiating and documenting of real estate and asset-based loan transactions. Additionally, Justin has represented a number of clients in workouts, lender liability litigation and mortgage foreclosures.
A frequent lecturer in the area of banking, Justin presents in public classes as well as private individualized presentations tailored for clients. Recent publications and speaking engagements include:
- Foreclosure Conference, Minnesota CLE, June 11-12, 2012: "Pseudo Foreclosure"
- Real Estate Institute, Minnesota CLE, 2010-2012: "Foreclosure Basics"; "7 Things Lawyers Need to Know About Agricultural Real Estate" 3 separate titles; "Forbearance Agreements, Deeds in Lieu and Voluntary Foreclosures"
- Debtor-Creditor Institute, Minnesota CLE 2007: "Farmer-Lender Mediation"
- Business Institute, Minnesota CLE 2010: "Business Owner Divorce"
- Minnesota River Builders Association Education Blast, 2006-2014: "Mechanics Lien Basic"; "How to Get Paid"; "Legislative Updates"; "Minnesota's Statutory Warranties"; "Contract Basics"
Honors & Awards
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
In his representative experience, Justin has:
- Provided opinions to financial institutions concerning state and federal statutory and regulatory issues; multi-state survey opinions
- Represented a corporation in union negotiations, successfully reaching a new collective bargaining agreement
- Represented financial institutions in workouts of complex, multimillion dollar credit facilities
- Represented construction companies in multimillion dollar projects, ranging from the initial contract to disputes over sums owed or alleged defective work
- Represented corporations in all aspects of their business, including buy/sell agreements, shareholder disputes and general advice on daily legal issues
- Represented a Chapter 7 trustee in recovering preferential transfers, which included assistance in the management of more than 100 preferential transfer lawsuits.
- Represented general contractors and counties in disputes with Minnesota Department of Transportation
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member
Iowa State Bar Associations, Member
Association of General Contractors, Member
Government Affairs Committee of the Minnesota River Builders Association, Member
American Bar Association, Member
- September 1, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- November 16, 2015
- November 20, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- November 20, 2014