University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 1997
University of California, Berkeley, B.A., 1994
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- Honorable Donovan W. Frank, U.S. District Court, St. Paul, Minnesota
Julie Firestone is a member of the Business Litigation section and the Financial Markets group. Julie practices primarily in the following areas:
- Complex commercial disputes and class actions
- Securities litigation and arbitration
- SEC and FINRA regulatory investigation and enforcement
- Shareholder and partnership disputes
Julie represents investment firms, broker-dealers, insurance companies, issuers of securities, registered representatives and insurance agents in class actions, regulatory proceedings and other adversary matters. She also focuses on customer complaints and regulatory compliance, as well as customer disputes in arbitration. Julie’s legal experience includes matters involving securities fraud, breach of contract, common law fraud, RICO, breach of fiduciary duty, suitability, selling away and unauthorized trading.
Significant cases resolved by Julie include:
- Represented insurance company in nationwide class action alleging a fraudulent scheme and RICO enterprise in the issuance of IUL policies.
- Defended registered representative in FINRA arbitration involving claims of breach of a joint venture, resulting in zero award.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in nationwide "stock drop" class action involving alleged false and misleading financial statements.
- Arbitrations in which the arbitration panel granted summary dismissal of all claims, including fraud and securities laws violations, against the broker-dealer on statute of limitations grounds.
- Action by the Department of Commerce against an insurance agent, alleging that the agent demonstrated untrustworthiness, financial irresponsibility and incompetence, in which the Department sought revocation of agent’s license; after evidentiary hearing, Commissioner ruled that no discipline be imposed on the agent.
- FINRA investigation of a registered representative, in which FINRA sought a suspension and fine, which concluded with a mere letter of caution and no suspension or fine.
- Partnership dispute before the American Arbitration Association (AAA) on behalf of the claimant with no signed partnership agreement, which resulted in a six-figure award for the claimant.
- FINRA arbitration on behalf of the broker-dealer against a former registered representative, in which the arbitration panel issued an award against the representative for all losses incurred by the broker-dealer arising out of the representative’s selling away activities, including recovery of all attorneys’ fees.
Julie also provides pro bono representation to disadvantaged and disabled persons who have been denied government services or been victimized in business disputes and to refugees seeking asylum in the United States. Julie has argued cases in the Minnesota Supreme Court and immigration court and has prevailed before the Board of Immigration Appeals.
Honors & Awards
- Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2014
- Minnesota Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
Washington State Bar Association, Member
ABA Securities Litigation Committee, Co-Chair, Securities Arbitration Subcommittee
SEC Enforcement Subcommittee, Former Co-Chair (2010-2013).
- Briggs and Morgan and Industry Professionals Discuss the DOL Fiduciary/Conflict of Interest Rule (Fiduciary Duty Rule) and Related Prohibited Transaction ExemptionsNovember 7, 2016
- March 7, 2016
- March 30, 2015
- December 22, 2014
- June 18, 2014
- May 2, 2014
- July 18, 2011
- December 15, 2008
- December 11, 2007
- May 29, 2014
- Graves 601 Hotel 601 1st Avenue North Minneapolis, MN 55403, June 14, 2013
- 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. | Graves 601 Hotel, Minneapolis, June 24, 2011
- "A Lawyer Walks into a Rep's Office," Client kickoff meetingJanuary 2006
- September 1, 2015
- May 2, 2014
- June 28, 2013
- June 26, 2013
- Alert: Minnesota Adopts NAIC Model Rules on Suitability of Annuity Transactions, to be Effective June 1, 2013May 23, 2013
- March 8, 2013
- January 29, 2013
- December 14, 2011
- May 26, 2011
- February 25, 2011
- April 27, 2010
- August 13, 2007