University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1977, Cum Laude
University of Minnesota, B.A., 1974
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
John Lunseth is the former chair of the firm's Intellectual Property section and concentrates his practice in:
- Patent litigation
- Trademark and trade name litigation
- Trade secret litigation
- E-commerce disputes
- Lanham Act claims
- Contractual dispute litigation
- Commercial litigation
John has been a first-chair trial lawyer for over 35 years. He handles primarily large, complex intellectual property and commercial cases. He has represented Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies, local governmental entities and private business owners. Past clients include major retailers; technology and medical device companies; print media; building contractors; and manufacturers of a wide variety of products, including card personalization, issuance, and securitization solutions, medical devices, container filling equipment, roofing caulking and sealant products for commercial and high-rise buildings, class rings and recognition products, pet food, herbal supplements, hearing aid technology, sporting goods and hand power tool distributors.
John has been lead counsel in over 100 matters litigated in more than 30 Federal District Courts throughout the United States, and has handled and argued appeals in the 7th and 8th Circuits and the Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals, as well as the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota and Wisconsin State Courts. He has tried several cases in the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. He was involved in a case exonerating a medical device manufacturer from patent infringement claims brought by a major competitor. He also represented a container filling equipment manufacturer/patentee in defense against claims of invalidity, obviousness and inequitable conduct, upheld on appeal to the federal circuit.
He has spoken and written on numerous continuing legal education topics, including intellectual property, e-commerce, patent litigation, electronic discovery, bad faith litigation, statutes of limitations and arbitration. He published “E-Commerce Disputes: Legislation and Litigation in the Brave New World,” 68 Def. Counsel Jour. 280 (2001).
John holds a Commercial Pilot Certificate and volunteers for Angel Flight Central. Before joining Briggs, he practiced with another Minneapolis law firm.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property Law
- Who's Who of American Law
- Lead trial counsel in Federal District Court winning a verdict of noninfringement for a medical device company.
- Lead counselor in Federal District Court and Federal Circuit Court winning against claims of paptent invalidity and inequitable conduct.
- Obtained preliminary injunction in patent infringement litigation mandating the shutdown of music sampling systems in Fortune 500 company’s retail stores throughout the United States.
- Represented a medical device company in a trademark infringement action related to programmable vests used to provide airway clearance treatment.
- Represented accused infringer in a patent infringement action relating to card personalization technology.
- Represented defendant in patent infringement action relating to electronic pollbook systems.
- Represented plaintiff in trademark and patent litigation related to thermal printing technologies.
International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Business Litigation and Intellectual Property Committees
- Technology Committee, Former Chair
American Bar Association, Member
- Business Law, Intellectual Property and Litigation Sections
- Cyberspace Law Committee
- Programs and Publications Subcommittee, Program Co-Chair
- Business Law Section's Electronic Evidence Task Force, Former Co-Chair
American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Ordway Theater, Member, Business Development Committee
National German Short Haired Pointer Association, Member, Board of Trustees
- August 16, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- August 22, 2014
- March 26, 2013
- November 17, 2011
- June 1, 2011
- September 8, 2009
- March 29, 2007
- What you need to know about injunctions and damages in patent infringement cases.Venue: University of Minnesota Law School - Room 25, April 26, 2016
- Briggs and Morgan, February 11, 2015
- November 16, 2011
- 7:30 a.m. - 10 a.m. | Holiday Inn, Alexandria, April 5, 2011
- Noon – 1:30 p.m. | Technology Plus Facility, Mankato, March 25, 2009
- ALERT: Don’t be Fooled by Bogus Operators Claiming You Need to Take Action on Your Trademarks or PatentsApril 25, 2017
- May 3, 2016
- September 7, 2012
- March 30, 2009