New York University School of Law, L.L.M.,1991
William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1990, Magna Cum Laude
University of Minnesota, B.A., 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Tax Court
- The Honorable Robert P. Ruwe, United States Tax Court, Washington D.C.
Jim Duffy is a member of the Business Law section and practices principally in the areas of:
- Federal tax law
- Tax credit financing
- Individual, partnership and corporate tax planning
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Tax-exempt organizations
- General commercial and corporate law
Jim has been actively practicing in the area of the New Market Tax Credits (NMTC) program since its inception in 2001. He has organized community development entities (CDEs) and represented CDEs, borrowers and other parties in structuring and closing numerous NMTC transactions.
Jim provides tax planning advice to LLCs, partnerships, corporations and individuals in connection with the formation of new companies, mergers and acquisitions, formation of joint ventures, like-kind exchanges and general business operations. These clients are involved in a variety of industries, including banking, venture capital, real estate, construction, consulting and investing. He also represents clients undergoing audit by the IRS.
Jim also advises charitable and non-charitable tax-exempt organizations, including health care entities, schools, religious and civic organizations. In addition to advising management of these organizations with respect to matters pertaining to general operation and maintenance of tax-exempt status, Jim has assisted clients in forming, restructuring and dissolving tax-exempt organizations, as well as forming donor advised funds.
Prior to joining Briggs, Jim worked at the law firm of Lewis Rice and Fingersh in St. Louis, Missouri, where he concentrated his practice in federal and state taxation.
Honors & Awards
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, 1997, Secretary, Tax CLE Steering Committee
- Jim Duffy to Present "Opportunity Zones. What are they? How do they work?" at the Owatonna Economic Development Authority Opportunity Zone Workshop.November 28, 2018
- Jim Duffy Presents "Opportunity Fund Informational Session" at the Marshall Chamber of Commerce Opportunity Fund EventNovember 13, 2018
- Jim Duffy to Present "Qualified Opportunity Zones and Qualified Opportunity Funds What & How" at the Waseca Economic Development Agency Qualified Opportunity Zone Workshop.October 30, 2018
- October 25, 2018
- June 2018
- March 9, 2011
- May 18, 2010
- July 5, 2018
- April 26, 2018
- January 12, 2018
- May 2, 2016
- February 23, 2016
- January 7, 2016
- January 22, 2013
- July 17, 2009
- May 8, 2009
- March 14, 2008