William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1981, Cum Laude
University of Minnesota, M.B.A., 1992, Cum Laude
- Beta Gamma Sigma
University of Minnesota, B.A., 1977
- Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Pro Hac Vice
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court of Kansas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
- Honorable Edward J. Devitt, U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Greg Stenmoe is President and Managing Partner of Briggs and Morgan and serves on the firm's management committee. Greg formerly served as the firm's vice president, treasurer and chair of the Business Litigation department, as well as on the executive committee and board of directors. He is a member of the Employment, Benefits and Labor section and practices principally in the areas of:
- Executive terminations
- Employment litigation
- Non-compete agreements and restraining orders
- Business litigation and contract disputes
- Employment law counseling and training
- Internal corporate investigations
- Workforce reductions and reorganizations
Greg is a seasoned trial lawyer and legal strategist. He has litigated and tried cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States. Greg has argued cases before the Minnesota state and federal district courts, the Minnesota Court of Appeals, the Minnesota Supreme Court, the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Court for the districts of Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee and Virginia and numerous state courts. In addition, he has represented employers in cases appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.
In his litigation practice, Greg represents a number of high-profile clients, major corporations and closely held businesses in the Twin Cities. Greg takes a creative approach to litigating cases and resolving disputes. He counsels on executive terminations, discipline and discharge issues, litigation risk assessment and litigation cost containment, and serves as a corporate trainer. Greg is highly experienced in conducting internal corporate investigations on a broad range of issues.
Along with other members of the Briggs Employment Law Group, Greg has been involved in a number of groundbreaking cases and affirmations of employer rights in the courts.
While in law school, Greg was editor-in-chief of the William Mitchell Law Review.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Top 100 Lawyers in Minnesota, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine, Twin Cities Business Magazine
- Top 40 Employment Law Attorney, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Leading Minnesota Attorney
- Minnesota Super Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law
- Leading American Attorney
- America's Leading Business Lawyers, Chambers USA
- Successful jury trial: court ordered injunction on non-compete. At trial, jury found former sales employee breached his employment contract and was not entitled to any deferred compensation. Court ordered former employee to pay $189,000 in attorneys' fees to employer and ordered former employee to return all company documents to his possession.
- Successful jury trial: won jury verdict in favor of international food company and obtained a $90,000 judgment against plaintiff in employment discrimination lawsuit.
- Successful court trial: defeated Consumer Fraud Act claim brought by Minnesota Attorney General at trial.
- Successful jury trial: jury verdict in favor of defendant on contract claim.
- Successfully obtained injunction and an award of damages against former employee who took confidential and proprietary information.
- Successful jury trial: jury found former executive breached his fiduciary duty and engaged in financial impropriety.
- Successful jury trial: jury found in favor of high tech placement company and rejected claims by former executives.
- Successful arbitration: defended national media company at arbitration against former employee's claims of race discrimination. The arbitrator also awarded costs and disbursements against former employee in favor of media company.
- Successful jury trial: defended national media company in jury trial against former executive alleging breach of contract and fraud.
- Obtained $20 million judgment against mining company for power company following trial.
- Successful jury trial: defended energy company at jury trial against former employee on claims of national origin discrimination, among other claims. After the conclusion of the trial, the Court entered a directed verdict and dismissed all claims.
- Successful court trial: defended beer company at trial against former employee claiming age discrimination, among other claims. Court found in favor of beer company and entered judgment in its favor.
- Defeated collective action status in largest age discrimination case in United States history at the time.
- Successful jury trial: defended international cereal company at trial against former employee claiming discrimination and wrongful termination.
- Successful court trial: defended bank against account losses at trial.
Walker Art Center
- Board of Trustees (2013-present)
- Collector's Council, Co-Chair
Minneapolis Institute of Arts Member, Print and Drawing Council
William Mitchell College of Law
- Board of Trustees, Member, 2001-2010
- Board of Trustees, Chair, 2006-2008
Twin Cities Diversity in Practice
- Former Board Member
- Marketing Committee, Former Chair
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Federal Bar Association, Member
Federal Practice, Committee Member
- August 16, 2017
- July 10, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- February 22, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- March 2, 2016
- January 7, 2016
- October 10, 2014
- August 22, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- June 20, 2014
- March 26, 2013
- June 27, 2012
- July 18, 2011
- June 27, 2011
- June 1, 2011
- May 9, 2011
- September 8, 2009
- December 5, 2008
- August 1, 2008
- January 1, 2008
- August 21, 2007
- June 22, 2007
- February 16, 2007
- "Employee Behavior After 5 PM: What an Employer Can and Cannot Do," Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Education (CLE)2015
- "Breaking Bad – What Do You Do When An Employee Takes Your Confidential Data?" Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Education (CLE)2014
- "Employees with Personality Disorders: Management and Litigation Risks" Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Education (CLE)2013
- "Toxic Assets: How Bullies Impact the Workplace," Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE)2012
- "Ex Parte Contacts with Employees: Insider Informants, Hostile Company Witnesses, and Gag Orders," Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE)2011
- "Risky Business: How to Better Value Your Case, Avoid/Win Explosive Verdicts and Maximize Settlement Success" Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE)2010
- "Culture Clash - Differing Generations, Cultures, Dress and Languages in the Workplace," Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education2009
- "You're Fired! Hollywood, Tarzan, and the Discipline and Discharge Jungle," Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE)2008
OMB Stays Use of New EEO-1 Form
“Pre-emption”: On a One-Way Ticket to Nowhere?