Oklahoma City University School of Law, J.D., 1976
- Phi Delta Phi
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, LL.M.
University of Minnesota, B.A., 1974
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Greg Bistram is a member of the Business Litigation section and the Construction and ADR practice groups. Greg practices principally in the areas of:
- Construction law
- Commercial litigation
- Eminent domain
- Mediation and arbitration
Greg's construction practice involves clients in Minnesota, the Upper Midwest, across the nation and overseas. He is involved in mediation, arbitration, litigation and counseling for entities and individuals involved in the area of construction. This includes owners, sureties, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers, design professionals, construction managers and insurance carriers.
Greg is a qualified neutral and arbitrator under Minnesota Practice Rule 114. He is national OSHA counsel for a construction company and regularly counsels and represents clients involved in state and federal OSHA investigations. Along with other members of the firm, Greg regularly represents condemning authorities or owners in eminent domain cases.
From 1991 to 1994, Greg served as associate general counsel at M.A. Mortenson Company, a national construction company based in Minneapolis. His duties included the first chair handling of litigation and arbitration matters and also the management of outside litigation. He also had extensive involvement in contract and subcontract negotiations, and was the individual at Mortenson primarily responsible for its surety program including the handling of claims.
Prior to joining M.A. Mortenson Company, Greg was in private practice with a firm in St. Paul. His practice in the areas of complex construction and civil litigation consisted primarily of lead counsel responsibility for six- and seven-figure cases during discovery and before judges, jurors, arbitration panels and mediators.
From 1979 to 1981, Greg was an assistant city attorney for the City of Saint Paul, Criminal and Civil Divisions. His primary responsibility in the Civil Division was serving as general counsel to the Port Authority of the City of Saint Paul. His duties in that capacity included advising its board of directors, and handling eminent domain proceedings and construction matters for the Port Authority.
Greg is a frequent lecturer and author on construction industry topics (including dispute resolution) and is involved with many related organizations. He also frequently serves as a mediator or arbitrator on construction matters in the Upper Midwest. Greg is also a member of the Associated General Contractors of America team which participates with the Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC) to negotiate contract terms for construction industry documents.
While in law school, Greg was a member of the Law Review.
Honors & Awards
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, The Best Lawyers in America
- Top 40 ADR Professional in Minnesota, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Alumnus of Notable Achievement, University of Minnesota, College of Liberal Arts
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Currently representing owner-related entities regarding the design and construction of a professional team headquarters and practice facilities (including stadium). Involved in drafting and negotiating design professional and construction manager agreements as well as related and associated agreements.
- Represented a regional public utility regarding the negotiation of an upgrade to hydro project. Project value of $40 million.
- Currently representing an international coop regarding the negotiation of design and construction agreements regarding a grain terminal project in Iowa.
- Defended mortgage lender/servicer in lawsuit related to alleged violations of TILA, RESPA, state foreclosure statutes, and other consumer fraud claims, and in breach of contract lawsuit related to sale of mortgages.
- Represented builder client in action commenced by homeowners association (HOA). Matter was confidentially resolved in client's favor at fourth mediation session one month before scheduled three-week jury trial.
- Represented client in contested administrative proceeding regarding OSHA citations regarding operation of manufacturing equipment. Contested proceeding favorable resolved at mediation before ALJ.
- Represented homeowner defending against breach of contract and promissory estoppel by construction contractor. Obtained summary judgment in client's favor.
- Represented national home builder in documentation for single family and multifamily residential developments.
- Represented power generation entity regarding the design and construction projects using various project delivery systems including EPC, design, supply, furnish and install.
- Represented utility contractor regarding OSHA citations; matter settled favorably for client with ALJ mediator.
- Representing general contractor in dispute with subcontractor regarding subcontractor's breach of contract, fraud and failure to comply with Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry prevailing wage requirements.
Client Security Board, Appointed Member
American Bar Association, Member
American Arbitration Association Member, Panel of Arbitrators
Federal Bar Association, Member
Ramsey County Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- ADR and Construction sections
- Construction Committee, Former Executive Board Member
State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
Minnesota Associated General Contractors of America
- Board of Directors, Former Affiliate Member
Associated General Contractors of America, Member
- Risk Management Committee
- Safety and Health Committee
- Contractor Relations Committee
- Contract Documents Committee
- Surety Bonding Committee
- Industry Liaison Committee
- Project Delivery Committee
- Instructor (Contract Documents), America Superintendent Training Program
Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Member
Minnesota Lawyers, Member, 1987-1998
- Board of Professional Responsibility, Chair, 1991-1998
- July 10, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- August 22, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- March 26, 2013
- June 6, 2012
- July 18, 2011
- June 27, 2011
- June 1, 2011
- April 25, 2011
- September 8, 2009
- December 5, 2008
- August 1, 2008
- April 18, 2008
- January 1, 2008
- August 21, 2007
- March 27, 2007
- "Interstate Panel: Pitfalls to Interstate Business," Presenter, CFMA's Connection Cafe Connected CommunityFebruary 2014
- "The Arbitrator's Perspective," Panelist, MSBA Construction Law Section's Annual Meeting & SymposiumJune 2012
- "Renewing the Promise of Arbitration," Minnesota CLEMarch 2011
- "Special Considerations for Mediating in Tough Economic Times," MSBA Construction Law SectionMarch 2010
- "Real Estate Series: Construction Mediation - Do Traditional Approaches Still (Ever) Work?" Minnesota CLEMarch 1, 2010
- "Tips for Choosing an Arbitrator," Panelist, MSBA Alternative Dispute Resolution CLEFebruary 2009
- Industry Users Panel, Panelist, Engineers Join Contract Documents Committee Document ConferenceFebruary 2009
- Minnesota CLE Conference Center, Minneapolis, May 21, 2008
- MSBA Offices, Minneapolis, March 14, 2008
- "Top 10 Issues in Insurance Coverage in Minnesota," Lorman Education ServicesJanuary 2008