University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2000, Magna Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
University of St. Thomas, B.A., 1997, Summa Cum Laude
- Aquinas Scholar
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Liz Brama is chair of the firm's Energy section and a member in the Business Litigation section. She formerly served as firm treasurer and as a member of the firm's board of directors. Liz is a Certified Public Accountant (inactive), focusing on complex contested matters for clients across many industries, and has successfully resolved financial disputes ranging from multi-million dollar acquisitions to regulatory rate proceedings.
Liz practices primarily in the following areas:
- Energy industry litigation, regulation and commercial transactions
- Financial and accounting disputes
- General complex commercial litigation
- Breach of contract and fraud
- Appellate law
Liz also has redistricting experience, and represented the plaintiffs in Hippert v. Ritchie before the 2011-2012 Minnesota Special Redistricting Panel. She previously served as legal counsel to the 2001-2002 Minnesota Special Redistricting Panel, advising on issues relevant to redrawing state legislative and congressional districts.
Honors & Awards
- Minnesota Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers, Multiple Years
- Future Star, Benchmark Litigation, Multiple Years
- Woman to Watch, Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, 2009
- Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2006
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Represented electric and gas public utilities in ratemaking proceedings before state public utility and public service commissions.
- Represented public utility in obtaining determination of prudence for power purchase agreement.
- Represented electric utility group in regulatory proceedings regarding transmission line routing.
- Represented electric utility in appeal of a rate case order to the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Handled negotiation of vendor contract for major power train equipment at electric generation facility.
- Represented corporate employer in pension accounting regulatory proceeding.
- Represented global marketing services company in arbitration regarding its acquisition of a privately held company.
- Defended a multinational business services organization in a whistleblower dispute involving alleged accounting fraud.
- Represented international businesses in private arbitration to allocate liability for a $100 million coal tar clean-up of sediments and land.
- Represented international distributor in litigation over its multimillion dollar acquisition of a privately held business.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of electric utility dismissing $20 million property damage and business interruption claims.
- Represented successor to a railroad in both a regulatory dispute and liability allocation litigation involving an arsenic-contaminated property.
- Represented a local airline in response to group unemployment compensation claims across 18 states.
- Represented multiple Fortune 500 companies as amici curiae before the Minnesota Court of Appeals in age discrimination class action.
Minneapolis Downtown Council, Board of Directors
University of St. Thomas Law School, Board of Governors
William C. Norris Institute, Advisory Board Member
Children's Law Center, Board of Directors
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Professionalism Committee, Past Chair
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
University of St. Thomas School of Law Adjunct Professor of Accounting for Lawyers, 2012-2013
Hennepin County, Guardian ad Litem, 2001-Present
- October 23, 2017
- July 10, 2017
- September 12, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- March 2, 2016
- July 21, 2014
- March 3, 2014
- July 18, 2011
- March 16, 2011
- May 18, 2010
- November 24, 2009
- May 27, 2009
- February 19, 2009
- February 19, 2008
- December 11, 2007
- August 16, 2007
- July 6, 2007