University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2000, Magna Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
University of St. Thomas, B.A., 1997, Summa Cum Laude
- Aquinas Scholar
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Liz Brama is the current vice president of the firm and a member of the board of directors and executive committee. She also serves as co-chair of the firm's Litigation Department. She is the former chair and a current member of the firm's Energy Law section, a member of the Business Litigation section, and is a Certified Public Accountant (inactive). She formerly served as the firm's treasurer. Liz focuses on complex contested matters for energy companies, and has successfully resolved financial disputes ranging from multi-million dollar acquisition matters to complex regulatory rate proceedings. She is admitted to practice in Minnesota, Colorado, North Dakota, and Wisconsin, as well as multiple federal courts.
Liz practices primarily in the following areas:
- Energy industry regulation, litigation, and commercial transactions
- Financial and accounting disputes
- General complex commercial litigation
- Administrative law and procedure
- Appellate law
Liz also has redistricting experience, and represented the plaintiffs in Hippert v. Ritchie before the 2011-2012 Minnesota Special Redistricting Panel. She also previously served as legal counsel to the 2001-2002 Minnesota Special Redistricting Panel, advising on issues relevant to redrawing state legislative and congressional districts.
Honors & Awards
- Minnesota Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers, Multiple Years
- Annual List of Top Women Lawyers, Minnesota Super Lawyers, Multiple Years
- Administrative/Regulatory Law, The Best Lawyers in America
- Top Women in Finance, Finance & Commerce, 2016
- Future Star, Benchmark Litigation, Multiple Years
- Woman to Watch, Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, 2009
- Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2006
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, Multiple Years
- Minnesota Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers, Multiple Years
Representative Regulatory Experience
- Represented electric and gas public utilities in ratemaking proceedings before multiple state public utility and public service commissions.
- Provided utilities counsel in relation to impacts of Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
- Negotiated settlement with respect to process for reflecting tax reform impacts in utility rates.
- Assisted multiple utilities in developing and supporting grid modernization proposals in Colorado and Minnesota.
- Supported Minnesota electric utility in appeal of resource planning decision to Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Represented public utility in request for approval of affiliated interest agreements and associated capacity and energy purchases from Wisconsin natural gas plant.
- Participated in the investigation and prudence review of costs incurred in connection with upgrades at nuclear power plant.
- Assisted public utility in obtaining determinations of prudence and approvals to acquire North Dakota wind farm.
- Represented electric utility group in regulatory routing proceedings for 345 kV transmission line spanning Minnesota.
- Supported multiple utilities in development of various resource planning submissions.
- Represented electric utility in appeal of a rate case order to the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Handled negotiation of vendor contract for major power train equipment at electric generation facility.
- Represented multiple corporate employers in pension accounting regulatory proceedings in Minnesota.
Representative Litigation Experience
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of electric utility, dismissing $20 million property damage and business interruption claims.
- Settled multi-million dollar vendor dispute regarding work at a generation facility on behalf of electric utility.
- Represented international businesses in private arbitration to allocate liability for a $100 million coal tar clean-up of sediments and land.
- Represented global marketing services company in arbitration regarding its acquisition of a privately held company.
- Defended a multinational business services organization in a whistleblower dispute involving alleged accounting fraud.
- Represented international distributor in litigation over its multi-million dollar acquisition of a privately held business.
- Represented successor to a railroad in both a regulatory dispute and liability allocation litigation involving an arsenic-contaminated property.
- Represented a local airline in response to group unemployment compensation claims across 18 states.
- Represented multiple Fortune 500 companies as amici curiae before the Minnesota Court of Appeals in age discrimination class action.
Cowles Center for Dance and the Performing Arts, Cowles Council, Executive Committee Member and Governance Committee Chair
Minneapolis Downtown Council, Finance Committee
- Board of Directors & Executive Committee, past Member
University of St. Thomas Law School, Board of Governors
Children's Law Center, Board of Directors
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Professionalism Committee, past Chair
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
William C. Norris Institute, past Advisory Board Member
University of St. Thomas School of Law Adjunct Professor of Accounting for Lawyers, 2012-2013
Hennepin County, Guardian ad Litem, 2001-Present
- March 6, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- August 1, 2018
- July 5, 2018
- October 23, 2017
- July 10, 2017
- September 12, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- March 2, 2016
- July 21, 2014
- March 3, 2014
- July 18, 2011
- March 16, 2011
- May 18, 2010
- November 24, 2009
- May 27, 2009
- February 19, 2009
- February 19, 2008
- December 11, 2007
- August 16, 2007
- July 6, 2007