Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 2012
Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, J.D., 2011
DePauw University, B.A., 2008
Bar & Court Admissions
Dimi Lalos is a member of the Business Law section and practices principally in the areas of:
- Federal tax law
- Individual, partnership and corporate tax planning
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Tax-exempt organizations
- Executive compensation
- Non-qualified deferred compensation plan design, drafting and compliance with Code Section 409A
- General commercial and corporate law
Dimi provides tax planning advice to LLCs, partnerships, corporations and individuals in connection with the formation of new companies, mergers and acquisitions, and general business operations.
Dimi also advises public charities and private foundations, including health care entities, schools, religious and civic organizations. In addition to advising management of these organizations with respect to matters pertaining to general operation and maintenance of tax-exempt status, Dimi assists clients in forming and restructuring tax-exempt organizations.
Prior to joining Briggs, Dimi worked at the law firm of Ice Miller in Indianapolis, Indiana, where he concentrated his practice in federal and state taxation.
While in law school, Dimi interned for the United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois. He was also an Associate Editor for the Washington University Global Studies Law Review.
Honors & Awards
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Assisted large municipality in reducing penalties and interest for failure to properly issue payee statements to independent contractors. Responsible for direct communication with an extensive network of municipal contractors with the purpose of obtaining statements of payments received.
- Assisted lead counsel in drafting motions, memoranda of law, discovery, witness and exhibit lists, and settlement agreements, as well as in developing legal theories for property tax appeals before the Indiana Board of Tax Review and the Indiana Tax Court.
Sales and Use Tax
- Advised heavy machinery provider of the potential for assessment of penalties and interest for claiming that its machinery was purchased for resale. Drafted memorandum detailing the proper application of the purchase for resale exemption and the potential for applying for voluntary disclosure. Responsible for engaging in direct communication with the Vice-President of Operations regarding the benefits of voluntary disclosure and the risks associated with non-reporting.
- Counseled large family owned agricultural business on the tax consequences of restructuring its operations. Responsible for drafting resolutions, articles of operation, operating agreements, articles of merger, and contribution and redemption agreements to split-up operations. Responsible for engaging in direct communication with the client and the client’s accountant and financial advisors regarding asset valuation and execution and filing requirements.
- Assisted lead counsel in developing plan of liquidation for a retail bicycle chain. Responsible for drafting the plan of liquidation and shareholder questionnaire discussing the tax implications of the liquidating distribution.
- Counseled regional cooperative on the tax implications of purchasing petroleum from non-patronage sources for processing at local refineries. Drafted memorandum detailing the tax implications of purchasing petroleum from non-patronage sources.
Estate Planning and Wealth Management
- Advised high net worth clients on the benefits associated with creating a private family foundation to achieve certain tax and charitable planning goals. Responsible for drafting articles, bylaws, and application for tax-exemption for private family foundations.
- Provided tax and financial planning guidance to high net worth client regarding the benefits associated with creating an irrevocable life insurance trust. Responsible for engaging in direct communication with the client and the client’s accountant and financial advisors regarding the estate and gift tax implications associated with the structure. Drafted irrevocable life insurance trust and Crummey withdrawal notices.
- Counseled national research university on the potential for assessment of penalties and interest associated with its failure to withhold payroll taxes for employees in other states. Drafted memorandum detailing state payroll taxes and voluntary disclosure programs in over thirty states. Responsible for engaging in direct communication with state revenue officials regarding voluntary disclosure.
- Counseled international equipment manufacturer on the payroll withholding responsibilities associated with employing nonresident aliens at its local facilities. Responsible for drafting memorandum concerning the payroll withholding responsibilities.
- Responsible for drafting articles, bylaws, conflict of interest policies, executive compensation policies, and applications for tax-exemption for various public charities and private foundations.
- Counseled public charities on public support, unrelated business income, and other business matters.
- January 12, 2018
- May 2, 2016
- February 23, 2016
- January 7, 2016