University of Minnesota Law School J.D., 2005, Cum Laude
University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management, M.B.A., 2005
- Beta Gamma Sigma
University of Wisconsin - Madison B.B.A., 2000
Bar & Court Admissions
Dan Van Dyk is a member of the firm's Real Estate section and is certified as a real property law specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association. Dan practices principally in the areas of:
- Commercial real estate acquisitions and dispositions
- Commercial real estate finance
- Commercial leasing
- Real estate development
- Title examination and insurance
- Easements, declarations and restrictive covenants
- Wind farm development
Dan concentrates a significant portion of his practice on representing corporate clients, developers and investment funds in the acquisition, financing, development and sale of large-scale projects located throughout the country. He assists these clients with all aspects of a transaction, from addressing title and survey issues prior to acquisition, negotiating and documenting and securing financing before, during and following construction, to handling development and land use issues. Dan has been involved in numerous multi-state, multi-property portfolio sales and acquisitions of class A office, retail, industrial and mixed-use sites.
Dan also has significant experience representing corporate borrowers in the securing of financing for office, condo and apartment towers, industrial complexes, and retail and mixed-use developments; and negotiating and documenting a multitude of loan types, including acquisition, construction, permanent and multi-bank syndicated financings.
In the area of commercial leasing, Dan works with both landlords and tenants on a variety of landlord/tenant documentation, drafting and negotiating leases, subleases, assignments, guarantees and letters of credit.
Dan also serves the firm’s clients with the drafting and negotiation of easements, declarations, restrictive covenants and other real estate-related documents.
In the community, Dan volunteers his legal skills to a large, local nonprofit organization that provides affordable housing to low-income families, counseling on the negotiation and drafting of purchase agreements, municipal agreements, development agreements, and restrictive covenants and easements, and resolving title matters. Dan has also been a part of the Volunteer Lawyers Network Housing Court Project, offering advice to qualified parties with matters before the Hennepin County Housing Court.
Honors & Awards
- Minnesota Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers, five consecutive years
Acquisition and Financing
- Represented Fortune 100 company in land acquisition and exchange transaction for construction of manufacturing and distribution facility.
- Represented national real estate investment fund in the acquisition and construction and permanent financing of New Jersey corporate headquarters building of international manufacturer, including negotiations with prior lender and land condominium documentation.
- Represented national real estate investment fund in the land acquisition and construction financing of downtown apartment tower development.
- Represented national real estate investment fund and developer in the acquisition, development and financing—including the drafting of utility, sign, right of way, and access easements and governance declarations—of sites to be developed as a more than two million rentable square foot industrial development in Tennessee and a 38-acre mixed use development in Georgia.
- Represented national real estate investment fund in the acquisition and financing of four office buildings located in Georgia and Ohio, including the transfer of tax-exempt bond financing.
- Represented national real estate investment fund in the acquisition, financing and development of a 474-acre mixed use development in California.
- Represented national real estate investment fund in the acquisition and construction financing of build-to-suit office building in Colorado.
- Represented real estate investment company in the joint venture acquisition and development of luxury residential communities.
- Represented a private real estate fund in the $79 million acquisition and financing of eleven-building Michigan industrial portfolio.
- Represented a private real estate fund in the acquisition and financing of a five-building Iowa industrial portfolio.
- Represented a private real estate fund in the financing of revolving property portfolio, initially consisting of 11 properties located in 6 states.
- Represented national real estate investment fund in the $107 million portfolio sale of eight industrial properties located in six states.
- Represented municipal economic development authority in the sale of land and development of improvements for a federal government facility.
- Represented publicly traded financial services company in the $26 million sale of a downtown office tower and related leaseback.
- Represented national shopping center developer in the acquisition, assembly, rezoning and subdivision, construction, financing, leasing and sale of lifestyle shopping center.
- Represented national real estate investment fund in the multi-party negotiation and documentation regarding sale of business park property, including subdivision, amendment to land condominium regime and sale of development property to high-density luxury residential developer.
- Represented municipalities and economic development authorities in the negotiation and drafting of public financing development agreements, land sales and easement declarations.
- Represented prominent Minnesota non-profit in the development and sale to qualified buyers of residential townhome units, including negotiations with the city and adjacent landowners regarding shared amenities and obligations.
- Landlord representation of shopping center owner in negotiation and drafting of retail leases for shop and big box retail stores.
- Landlord representation of owners of medical office buildings with negotiation and drafting of medical office and laboratory leases.
- Landlord representation of owners of downtown office towers and office buildings in connection with negotiation and drafting of office leases.
- Tenant representation of health care services company with negotiation and drafting of nationwide office and industrial leases.
- Tenant representation of specialty industrial contractor with negotiation and drafting of site specific industrial leases.
- Tenant representation of international financial services firm with negotiation and drafting of office tower lease.
- Tenant representation of franchisee with negotiation and drafting of retail center leases.
Real Estate Finance – Lender Representation
- Represented lender in the acquisition and financing of hotel development.
- Represented lender in the leasing and sale of bank-owned properties, including negotiation of easements and counseling regarding subdivision and statutory sale restriction matters.
- Represented lender in the financing of an assisted living center and related renegotiation of ground lease.
- Represented investment note purchaser in deed in lieu acquisition of hotel property.
Wind Farm Development and Acquisition
- Represented international wind farm development company in the development and financing of wind farm developments in Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana and North Dakota.
- Represented utility company in the acquisition of wind generation facilities, including due diligence of easement and property rights.
- Represented shopping center owner in negotiation and drafting of shopping center reciprocal easement and operating agreement.
- Represented Fortune 100 company in negotiation and drafting of required access easement for shipping terminal.
- Represented investment firm in negotiation and drafting of hotel management agreements.
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Certified Real Property Law Specialist
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- July 10, 2017
- July 5, 2016
- August 5, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- July 18, 2011
- November 24, 2009