William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., Magna Cum Laude, 2013
Carleton College, B.A., 2007
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- Honorable Terri J. Stoneburner and Honorable Peter M. Reyes, Minnesota Court of Appeals
Cyrus Malek is a member of the Business Litigation section and the Privacy, Data Security and Cybersecurity group. He practices principally in the areas of complex commercial litigation, appellate representation and data security matters.
Cyrus represents individual and corporate clients in a variety of business disputes. His experience includes commercial contract, construction defect, medical malpractice, trademark infringement, mass toxic tort and banking matters.
Cyrus has worked on appeals involving a variety of issues, including construction contracts, public-utility requests for proposal and the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act. He has practiced before the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court and is admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Privacy, Data Security and Cybersecurity
In his role in the Privacy, Data Security and Cybersecurity practice group, Cyrus offers a broad range of services to help clients prevent, prepare for, and minimize the impact of security breaches and cyber attacks. Cyrus obtained his certification in Cybersecurity and Privacy Law from Mitchell-Hamline School of Law in 2016.
He is a member of InfraGard (Minnesota chapter), a non-profit organization creating a partnership between U.S. businesses and the FBI, focusing on the development, management and protection of infrastructure. Cyrus also serves on the firm’s Information Security Committee and is a member of the Cyber Security Summit’s Small/Mid-Market Business Planning Committee. At the 2017 Cyber Security Summit in Minneapolis, Cyrus presented with shareholder Phil Schenkenberg. Materials from the presentation, "Cybersecurity for Small & Mid-Size Businesses," can be found here:
In addition, Cyrus has experience in energy law, including electricity sale and purchase transactions, public utility rate proceedings and regulatory compliance.
Cyrus joined Briggs in 2014 after a clerkship with Judge Terri J. Stoneburner and Judge Peter M. Reyes at the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
In law school, Cyrus was a member of Law Review, externed for the Honorable Patrick J. Schiltz of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, competed in the Vale Corporate Moot Court and was selected as a Marshall-Brennan Fellow. Prior to law school, Cyrus was a sportswriter for the online soccer publication Goal.com.
Honors & Awards
- 2016 Social Justice Award, National Lawyers Guild of Minnesota
- Briggs Partners with 2017 Cyber Security Summit to Educate Small, Mid-Size Businesses on Data SecuritySeptember 15, 2017
- April 19, 2017
- November 1, 2016
- May 19, 2016
- March 9, 2016
- Judge Dismisses Charges Against Black Lives Matter ActivistsNovember 10, 2015
- January 6, 2015
- 2017 Cyber Security Summit: Cyber Security for Small and Mid-size Businesses, Presenter, "Legal Considerations and Case Studies," Minneapolis, Minnesota (Click here for presentation materials)October 24, 2017
- St. Cloud State University Central Region Small Business Development Center: Cybersecurity Colloquium, Presenter, "Reasons Businesses Call a Cyber Lawyer," St. Cloud, MinnesotaMay 18, 2017