Université Jean Moulin III, LL.M., With Distinction
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., Cum Laude
University of Minnesota, B.A.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Claire Joseph currently serves on the firm’s pro bono and diversity committees and is a founding member of the firm’s LGBT group. Claire is a member of the Business Litigation and Employment, Benefits and Labor sections and practices principally in the areas of:
- Food and beverage
- Banking and finance
- Employment litigation and employment counseling
Food and Beverage
Claire represents food industry clients on a number of matters and, notably, Claire played an integral role on a team that represented one of the largest egg producers in the United States in a nationwide class action antitrust lawsuit. Claire has represented food and beverage clients in product recalls, animal welfare issues and employment-related litigation. Claire also has experience with the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act.
Claire represents telecommunications clients in state public utilities commissions, as well as federal and state courts. Matters include intercarrier compensation disputes, such as disputes regarding traffic pumping, wireless traffic and VoIP traffic. In addition, Claire has assisted clients with telemarketing matters, including state and federal laws and regulations on "robocalls" and the use of automated-dialing machines.
Claire represents mortgage banking and financial institution clients in state and federal courts on a variety of matters related to the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), federal and state consumer protection laws, and commercial and residential foreclosure statutes.
Employment Litigation and Employment Counseling
Claire works with employers in a variety of employment litigation and counseling matters. Claire has experience with issues related to Title VII, Title IX, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family Medical Leave Act and the Minnesota Human Rights Act. In addition, Claire has experience representing employers in matters relating to non-competition agreements. Beyond litigation, Claire has experience providing employment counseling regarding competition agreements, sexual harassment policies, privacy concerns and communications with insurers.
Claire has represented individuals on a pro bono basis in Minnesota state and federal district court, as well as the Minnesota Court of Appeals. Claire won a pro bono case at the Minnesota Court of Appeals, resulting in the court’s decision to vacate three felony convictions and reverse and remand a fourth felony conviction for a new trial. She also participated in the St. Paul City prosecutions pro bono trial program, where she led petty misdemeanor trials and negotiated plea bargains.
While Claire was in law school, she participated in National Moot Court and was a teaching assistant with the University of Minnesota Center for Writing.
Claire is a qualified neutral under under Minnesota Practice Rule 114.
Honors & Awards
- Appointed by The Supreme Court of Minnesota to serve on the Minnesota Judicial Branch's Committee for Equality and Justice, 2013
- Excellence in Diversity Award, Ramsey County Bar Association, 2013
- Outstanding Pro Bono Service Award, Briggs and Morgan, 2012
- Achieved dismissal of a series of lawsuits by borrowers against national mortgage lender challenging the validity of mortgage foreclosures under theories including "show me the note," improper assignment of the mortgage, quiet title and slander of title.
- Defended against allegations that client violated telemarketing and auto-dialing regulations.
- Handled a pro bono case representing a criminal defendant on behalf of the Office of the Minnesota Appellate Public Defender.
- Member of a trial team that defended cable and wire manufacturer against claims of personal injury and wrongful death for alleged exposure to asbestos-containing products.
- Member of the lead trial counsel team that successfully defended a class action securities claim brought against a publicly traded company, its principals and its largest shareholder: an Indian pharmaceutical company.
- Ongoing representation for a client in general employment matters, including review of policy revisions and compliance with privacy laws.
- Represented a bank and a mortgagee in an action in which plaintiffs allege the mortgage should be rescinded.
- Represented a bank in an action under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) in which it was alleged that, after plaintiffs reported an issue with credit reporting agencies, bank failed to properly investigate.
- Represented a company in a contract dispute regarding the proper interpretation of contractual provisions relating to payment and cancellation of commissions.
- Represented a defendant debt collection company against claims based on violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
- Represented a large food producer in both state and federal court, defending against alleged antitrust violations.
- Represented regional bank, in its capacity as a loan participant, in a lawsuit brought by the loan servicer to enforce the regional bank's alleged contractual obligations under the loan participation agreement.
- Represented wireless carriers in obtaining eligible telecommunications carrier designation from Federal Communications Commission and various state public utility commissions.
- Representing a religious community involving general employment matters, including in regard to insurance matters, personnel issues and compliance with Minnesota law.
- Representing an Arizona resident on claims arising out of an alleged fraudulent conspiracy.
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Ramsey County Bar Association, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Federal Bar Association, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Lavender Bar Association
- Board of Directors
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
Tempo, Board of Directors
- April 18, 2013
- February 4, 2011