University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1981, Cum Laude
Concordia College, B.S., 1978, Magna Cum Laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
Charlie Rogers is a former chair of the firm's Litigation department, a former member of the board of directors and formerly served as the firm's Loss Prevention Partner. Charlie is a member of the Business Litigation section and a qualified neutral under Minnesota Practice Rule 114. His trial practice includes:
- Commercial real estate and construction defect litigation
- Banking litigation
- Real estate foreclosure litigation
- Unfair competition and antitrust litigation
- Shareholder, partnership and closely-held business litigation
- Environmental litigation
- Professional liability litigation
- Trademark and copyright infringement litigation
- Energy industry litigation
- Class action litigation
- Fiduciary and fidelity bond litigation
- General complex commercial litigation
Charlie has more than 30 years of experience litigating and trying cases involving a wide variety of claims and issues. He has successfully represented numerous developers and architects with regard to construction and development disputes. Charlie has also represented banks and lending institutions in pursuing both monetary and foreclosure remedies. Additionally, he has represented various religious organizations and businesses in contractual statutory and common law disputes. As part of his environmental practice, Charlie has successfully defended clients against claims of liability and responsibility for environmental contamination, and has also successfully pursued affirmative environmental claims against potentially responsible parties.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- The Wall Street Journal Award
- Life Member, National Registry of Who's Who
- Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Top Rated Lawyer for Energy, Environmental & Natural Resources Law
- Top Rated Lawyer for Labor & Employment
- Defended former officers/directors in complex, securities fraud litigation involving allegations that defendants made misrepresentations in connection with the sale of timeshares and participated in the unlicensed sale of securities.
- Prosecuted a complex commercial mortgage foreclosure and breach of contract litigation on behalf of a national bank and obtained damages in excess of $12 million on summary judgment.
- Represented a national developer with regard to construction and design disputes around the country.
- Represented bank in pursuing misrepresentation and contractual claims against entity and its principals who sold lease participations to bank where it was later revealed that lessee operated a Ponzi scheme.
- Represented banking client in loan participation dispute which resulted in settlement before trial. Included claims for breach of contract, fraud and negligent misrepresentation.
- Represented banking client in mortgage priority dispute which resulted in summary judgment in favor of client and finding that client's mortgage had priority over a competing bank's mortgage.
- Represented global marketing services company in arbitration regarding its acquisition of a privately held company.
- Represented international businesses in private arbitration to allocate liability for a $100 million coal tar clean-up of sediments and land.
- Represented international distributor in litigation over its multimillion dollar acquisition of a privately held business.
- Represented lender in priority dispute with mechanic's lien claimant.
- Represented national bank in related lawsuits involving a multimillion dollar construction loan default by developer, appointment and termination of a receiver, a mechanic's lien foreclosure action by a general contractor, and title insurance litigation.
- Represented religious organization with regard to internal investigation.
- Represented successor to a railroad in both a regulatory dispute and liability allocation litigation involving an arsenic-contaminated property.
- Successfully defended an engineering firm against a multi-million dollar negligence claim asserted by a city following a slope failure at an MSW landfill.
- Successfully defended an engineering firm against professional negligence claims arising out of the design and construction of a cell phone antenna at the top of a water tank.
- Successfully defended claims that a national bank succeeded to declarant liabilities for alleged construction defects involving a large condominium project after the execution of a deed in lieu of foreclosure agreement.
- Successfully obtained appointment of temporary, and later permanent, receiver on emergency, ex parte basis to manage the affairs of commercial borrower and prevent waste of bank's collateral, an income-producing commercial property.
- Successfully obtained the appointment of a temporary and permanent receiver to manage affairs of commercial borrower and to preserve and protect bank collateral.
American Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar, Member
- July 10, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- August 22, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- March 26, 2013
- July 18, 2011
- June 27, 2011
- June 1, 2011
- September 8, 2009
- December 5, 2008
- August 1, 2008