University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2005, Magna Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
Augsburg College, B.A., 2002, With Honors
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- Honorable Thomas J. Kalitowski, Minnesota Court of Appeals
Britt Gilbertson is a member of the firm's board of directors and serves as the Employment, Benefit and Labor section leader. She practices principally in the areas of:
- Employment litigation
- Employment counseling
- Non-compete agreements and restraining orders
- Business litigation
- Internal investigations
Britt represents clients in state and federal courts and in proceedings before state and federal agencies, including the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Minnesota Department of Human Rights. She regularly defends clients in disputes alleging violations of employment statutes, including Title VII, the American with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act and the Minnesota Human Rights Act.
On a daily basis Britt counsels clients regarding a variety of workplace issues, such as hiring, discipline, discharge, workforce restructuring, accommodations and wage and hour compliance. Additionally, she prepares and presents training on employment laws to managers and employee groups.
Britt assists clients in drafting all manner of employment contracts, including those with restrictive covenants such as non-compete, non-solicitation, and confidentiality provisions. She is also adept at enforcing restrictive covenants, and in defending employers against such enforcement efforts.
Britt has experience litigating business disputes beyond the employment context as well. She has litigated cases involving trade secret misappropriation, tortious interference, product disparagement, false advertising, professional liability, and shareholder disputes.
Britt also helps companies conduct internal investigations. In so doing, she assists clients with every step of the process, from identifying the need for an investigation through managing its outcome.
Honors & Awards
- Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer
- Minnesota Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Successfully obtained judgment as a matter of law following presentation of plaintiff’s case at a jury trial in anti-competition case with claims including breach of contract, tortious interference, deceptive trade practices, misappropriation of trade secrets, false advertising, and product disparagement.
- Successful jury trial: won jury verdict in favor of international food company and obtained a $90,000 judgment against plaintiff in employment discrimination and retaliation lawsuit.
- Successful jury trial: jury verdict in favor of employer-defendant on contract claim.
- Obtained summary judgment for client dismissing whistleblower lawsuit.
- Obtained early dismissal of suit alleging claims of tortious interference with employment agreement and defamation against management employees.
- Obtained summary judgment of a lawsuit alleging failure to accommodate and direct discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Obtained summary judgment of a pregnancy discrimination lawsuit and secured dismissal of the case at both the district court and the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Defended employer against claims for disability discrimination, sexual harassment, reprisal and marital status discrimination in violation of the Minnesota Human Rights Act.
- Defended employer against claims for sex-plus discrimination, reprisal and marital status discrimination.
- Defended philanthropic organization against former employee's allegations that he was wrongfully discharged in violation of the parties' lifetime employment agreement.
- Successfully enforced non-compete agreement against former employee and his new employer.
- Successfully enforced non-compete and confidentiality covenants against departing sales employee.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of employer in FMLA case.
- Prepared and presented training to client human resources departments on discipline and discharge practices and compliance with employment statutes.
- Responded to and obtained dismissal of numerous administrative charges alleging retaliation discrimination based on race, gender, national origin and criminal record.
- Successfully enforced a confidentiality provision against a terminated employee who set up a competing business.
- Defended family-owned LLC against departing member's claims seeking buy-out or company dissolution.
- Defended beverage company against former manager's claims of age and disability discrimination and retaliation under the Iowa Civil Rights Act and discrimination and retaliation under the FMLA.
- Defended salesperson against sexual harassment and assault claims.
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
- March 6, 2019
- October 1, 2018
- July 5, 2018
- Briggs Team Successfully Defends Client, Cortec Corporation, Against $65 Million Claim in Ohio Federal CourtOctober 23, 2017
- July 10, 2017
- July 5, 2016
- July 21, 2014
- March 16, 2011
- Breakfast Briefing SeriesApril 20, 2016
- Windows on Minnesota, 50th Floor, IDS Center, April 10, 2014
- "Risky Business: How to Better Value Your Case, Avoid/Win Explosive Verdicts, and Maximize Settlement Success," Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE)2010
- "Religious Accommodation and Discrimination - The Next Generation," 35th Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE)2008
- "You're Fired! Hollywood, Tarzan, and the Discipline and Discharge Jungle," Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE)2008
Minneapolis $15 Minimum Wage Ordinance Upheld
Independent Contractor Misclassifications in Minnesota