Chicago-Kent College of Law
Bar & Court Admissions
Ann Rainhart is the Chief Operating Officer at Briggs and Morgan and is a member of the firm’s Senior Leadership team. She collaborates with the Managing Partner and Executive Committee on strategy and oversees the firm’s business operations departments.
During her tenure at Briggs, Ann has led the firm through a major remodel decision, helped develop several innovative processes including client development coaching, legal transactional operations and eDiscovery. She has also seen the firm through leadership transitions.
Prior to joining Briggs, Ann was a key member of the Faegre Baker Daniels operations team. She played a significant role in the combination of Faegre & Benson LLP and Baker & Daniels LLP – a merger that created the largest law firm in Minnesota and one of the largest law firms in the nation. In her role as Chief Talent Officer, Ann worked with the firm’s management board and executive committee around strategies for retention, development and feedback for the firm’s 750+ lawyers, consultants and professionals, and collaborated with other administrative department leaders in key areas of business operations.
Ann’s experience also includes previous positions as Director of Legal Personnel at Faegre & Benson, LLP and as part of the human resources team at Stinson Leonard Street. Ann began her career in law firm administration at Chapman and Cutler in Chicago.
Ann enjoys being an agent of change in the legal profession, understanding the needs of clients, collaborating within the firm, and spending time with the team of directors and other professionals at Briggs. She is a frequent author and presenter on the topics of legal operations, change in the legal profession and leadership.
- The Law Firm Operations Team: Collaborative Agent of Change in a Changing Profession, Mitchell Hamline Law Review, 2018. (Co-authored with James Keuning)
- The Evolving Practice of Law: Competency Development in Law Firm Combinations, University of St. Thomas Law School Journal, 2013.
- Motivating Lawyers to Move from Activity to Impact, ABA LPM Webzine, May, 2013. (Co-authored with Kristine McKinney, Director of Diversity and Inclusion at FaegreBD)
- Professional Development for the Senior Associate, Law Firm Partnership and Benefits, Volume 15, Number 4, June 2009.
- Associate Personnel Issues: Is Departure the Only Option? NALP Bulletin, 12 (May 1999), 6-7.
Presentations and Coaching
- Twin Cities, Diversity in Practice, Membership Meeting, November 2018
- Women in Leadership – Charting Your Own Path to Success in a Changing Legal Landscape, MSBA 2018 Business Law Institute, May 2018
- Law Firm Leadership Series, Hennepin County Bar Association, May 2015, 2017 and 2019
- Act on ACT: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in Counseling, April 2018
- Many Stars Make a Constellation: Best Practices in Staff Management, NALP Annual Conference 2015
- Law Firm Operations: The Change Agent Behind the Scenes in Today’s Law Firm, NALP and LMA Annual Conferences 2015
- Leadership Coach, NALP, Annual Conferences 2014-2019
- Leading Law Firms Through Change, NALP, Annual Conference
- Ch, Ch, Ch, Changes: Navigating Leadership Changes, NALP, Professional Development Institute, December 2012
- Getting to Yes—Motivating Lawyers to Actually Change Their Behavior, Lex Mundi Annual Marketing Conference, November 2012
- Retaining Your Legal Staff…In Times of Great Change, General Counsel Forum, September 2012
- Business Skills, Lawyering Skills, Soft Skills: Call Them What You Want, But Lawyers Need Them, NALP, Professional Development Institute, December 2011
- Future of Lawyering Roundtable, NALP, June 2011
- Ethics are Everywhere, NALP National Conference, April 2011
- Tools for Advancing Diversity and Inclusion on Legal Teams, Center for Legal Inclusiveness, March 2011
- SheSaidSeminars, Minnesota Women Lawyers, March 2010
Association of Legal Administrators, Large Law Firm Representative
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Alternative Careers Affinity Group Co-Chair