University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1981, Cum Laude
University of Minnesota, M.A., 1976
University of Iowa, B.A., 1970, With Highest Distinction
- Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- Honorable Harry H. MacLaughlin, U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
Ann Huntrods is a member of the Employment, Benefits and Labor section, former head of the Labor and Employment Law section and serves as the firm’s employment law attorney. Ann practices principally in the areas of:
- Employment litigation
- Employment law counseling
- Employment law training
Ann has 30 years of experience in employment law and litigation. She has handled cases in state and federal court and argued before the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals. She frequently assists employers in responding to charges brought before the Minnesota Department of Human Rights and U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). She also conducts internal investigations for employers both prior to and after litigation begins.
In recent years, claims for disability discrimination, sexual harassment and age discrimination have increased dramatically. Plaintiffs often use medical, psychological and vocational experts to bolster these claims. Ann has extensive experience in selecting and working with experts on behalf of employers to defend against these claims.
Also as part of her practice, Ann advises clients on a variety of employment, governance and litigation issues. In this capacity, she has worked with an array of for profit and nonprofit clients, including large and medium-size corporations and private and charter schools, community organizations, colleges and social service providers.
Ann is a frequent lecturer at seminars for attorneys, human resource professionals and managers. She has spoken on a variety of topics related to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), including managing employees with chronic disabilities or mental illness.
In her work with employers, Ann has provided training regarding legal issues to managers and employees. Ann also often provides training to employers on how to conduct internal investigations. She has frequently assisted employers in drafting personnel policies and then provided training to employees regarding these policies. Ann also conducts workshops for managers regarding their responsibilities and potential liability regarding sexual harassment, along with other issues. She uses case studies in her training to present managers with realistic situations in which to apply the knowledge they have learned. These small group training sessions allow managers to develop skills in handling difficult personnel issues.
Ann has completed more than 30 hours of training in mediation. She has extensive experience in representing employers in mediation along with experience acting as a mediator for others.
While in law school, Ann was an articles editor of the Minnesota Law Review.
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Humanitarian Service Award, Ramsey County Bar Association, 2014
- David Graven Public Service Award, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2005
- Fellow, The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- University of Minnesota Alumni Service Award, University of Minnesota
- Chambers USA: Labor & Employment, Band 1
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Top 40 Employment Law Attorneys, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Top 50 Women Super Lawyers, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Top 100 Women Super Lawyers, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Alumni Service Award, University of Minnesota
- 21st Century Leadership Award, Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law
- Leading Minnesota Attorney
- Leading American Attorney
- Brought claim on behalf of former employer against former employee and employee's new employer for breach of confidentiality agreement, breach of trade secret, and duty of loyalty.
- Brought claims on behalf of employer against former employees for misappropriation of trade secrets, conversion, tortious interference with business and employment relationship, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract.
- Collective wage and hour lawsuit alleging over $20,000,000 in unpaid overtime by loan officers who claimed they were improperly classified as exempt employees, and should have been classified as nonexempt and paid overtime.
- Conducted internal employment investigation for General Counsel of internal gender discrimination and sexual harassment complaint by employee against the employee's supervisor.
- Defended age discrimination and interference with FMLA claims brought by 71 year old sales person who sold credit services but had performance issues and was terminated.
- Represented board in negotiation of departure of president, including president's separation agreement and consulting agreement; drafted board resolutions and minutes regarding same.
- Represented CEO of large manufacturer in negotiating and drafting CEO's final employment agreement with company. Agreement provided transition package along with other features.
- Represented employer in defending claims brought by Plaintiff employee -- three gender, age, and race EEOC discrimination and retaliation charges under Title VII and then sued for the same claims in federal court.
- Represented employer in responding to embezzlement by employee of over $1 million.
- Represented senior executive in negotiating separation agreement with executive's employer.
- Representing a client in general employment matters, including review of policy changes and compliance with privacy laws.
American Bar Association, Member
Federal Bar Association, Member
Madeline Island Chamber Music, Board Chair
Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, Board Member
St. Paul Foundation
- Former Chair
- Former Vice Chair
- Former Member, Board of Directors
Minnesota Community Foundation
- Former Chair
- Former Member, Board of Directors
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Labor and Employment Law Section, Governing Council, Member
- Certified Labor and Employment Law Specialist
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Former President and Member
Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth
- Former Board Chair
- Board Member
Ramsey County Bar Association, Member
University of Minnesota Alumni Association
- Former President
- Former National Board Member
Minnesota Community Foundation, Board Chair
St. John's University
- Regent Member
- Former Chair, Board of Trustees
- July 9, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- July 5, 2018
- May 3, 2018
- August 16, 2017
- July 10, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- May 9, 2016
- August 22, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- June 20, 2014
- May 15, 2014
- March 26, 2013
- July 18, 2011
- June 27, 2011
- June 1, 2011
- May 9, 2011
- March 8, 2011
- September 27, 2010
- September 8, 2009
- December 5, 2008
- October 15, 2008
- August 1, 2008
- January 1, 2008
- October 15, 2007
- August 21, 2007
- March 12, 2007
- THIS EVENT IS FULL.May 5, 2015
- Windows on Minnesota, 50th Floor, IDS Center, April 10, 2014
- Windows on Minnesota, 50th Floor, IDS Center, April 9, 2013
- Windows on Minnesota, 50th Floor, IDS Center, April 12, 2012
- 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. | St Paul RiverCentre, May 24, 2010
- 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. | Briggs and Morgan, Minneapolis, February 4, 2009
- "FMLA Update 2008," Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education (CLE)May 2008
- May 2015Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, Inc.
- November 11, 2009
- July 10, 2009
- December 12, 2008
- December 20, 2007
Minnesota’s New Wage Theft Law Takes Effect July 1, 2019
Minneapolis Minimum Wage Increase Set for July 1, 2019
Minneapolis $15 Minimum Wage Ordinance Upheld