University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1998, Cum Laude
St. Olaf College B.A., 1995, Magna Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Tax Court
Drew Baese is a member of the Estate Planning and Administration section and focuses his practice in estate planning, including:
- Assisting individuals in drafting wills and trusts
- Administering trusts and estates
- Preparing related federal income and estate tax returns
- Litigating trust and estate disputes
He has testified numerous times before various Minnesota House and Senate committees in support of various Probate and Trust section bills, and he is a frequent lecturer on topics including retirement plan distributions, drafting the disclaimer revocable trust, the probate process and drafting will and trust documents. Additionally, he has served as an adjunct law professor at the St. Thomas School of Law.
Prior to joining Briggs, Drew was an associate with another law firm where he concentrated his practice in the area of estate planning. He joined Briggs in 2001.
Honors & Awards
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association
Serves as a trustee for existing long term trusts for clients, to insure their documents are administered in accordance with their intentions and applicable legal and tax considerations.
Challenged last will and testament on grounds of lack of capacity and undue influence.
- Defended corporate fiduciary against claims of fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Established public charity for professional athlete and obtained tax-exempt status.
- Negotiated approval of trust accounts, release of claims and indemnification of trustee for corporate trustee removal and replacement by beneficiaries in a nonjudicial settlement agreement.
- Represented corporate fiduciary during contested probate and administration; defended final account and administration, obtained court approval and discharge of fiduciary.
- Represented professional athletes in antenuptial agreements and estate planning.
- Served as local counsel for multi-million dollar estate of decedent; secured approval of settlement between family members, beneficiaries and others; secured release of claims and indemnification for corporate fiduciary as personal representative and trustee.
Minnesota State Bar Association
- Probate and Trust Section Council, Chair, 2014-2015
- Probate and Trust Section Council, Vice Chair, 2013-2014
- Probate and Trust Section Council, Secretary, 2011-2012
- Probate and Trust Section Legislative Committee, Member & Co-Chair, 2010-2014
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Member, Board of Directors
Children's Home Society, Member, Board of Directors
American Bar Association, Member
Storefront Group, Former Member, Board of Directors
- May 12, 2016
- May 12, 2011
- March 16, 2011
- December 15, 2008
- May 9, 2008
- December 11, 2007
- August 16, 2007
- September 24, 2018
- September 24, 2018
- February 26, 2018
- November 18, 2016
- January 2016
- March 27, 2014
- May 29, 2013
- January 22, 2013
- August 9, 2012
- March 1, 2010
- October 30, 2009