University of Iowa College of Law J.D., 1994
University of Iowa B.B.A., 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
Alec Sherod has extensive experience successfully representing both public and privately held companies in a variety of industries. He practices principally in the areas of
- mergers and acquisitions
- corporate finance
- private equity and venture capital finance
- commercial contracts
- corporate strategy and governance
- securities regulations
- strategic corporate and business counseling
- shareholder issues
Mergers and Acquisitions
Alec represents buyers, sellers and financial advisors in a wide variety of domestic and international M&A transactions. Structures have included purchases and sales of both private and public companies, private transactions, joint ventures and corporate reorganizations.
Corporate, Private Equity and Venture Capital Finance
Representing clients in financing transactions, including advising issuers and investors in securities laws, handling acquisition financings for lenders, borrowers, and investors in leveraged buyouts and other transactions, and representing clients in private placements of equity and debt.
Commercial Contracts and Corporate Governance
Alec advises and represents clients in a broad array of business matters, including commercial transactions and contract negotiations of all types, capitalization, executive compensation, reorganizations and restructurings, dissolutions, regulatory matters, and state law requirements. He advises directors, management, and shareholders and other equity holders in governance and fiduciary duties, voting trusts, buy-sell agreements and other equity holder arrangements.
Alec began his career as a corporate lawyer practicing with a large international law firm in New York City and was general counsel of a private equity group in Colorado before joining Briggs and Morgan. While in law school, Alec was on the staff of the Iowa Law Review.
- Representation of a marketing technologies company in its IPO, follow-on offering and registered direct offerings.
- Represented a Minneapolis-based conglomerate with a $50-million investment in a micro-brewery logistics company.
- Represented a same-day, time-critical transportation and distribution/logistics services company in its preferred stock and secured note financing transactions.
- Represented a U.S. real estate investment trust in its $100 million initial public offering of trust units.
- Represented an NHL team in the sale of the team to a group of new investors.
- Represented the founders of a start-up software company with respect to various formation matters.
- Served as Principal American Liaison to a Canadian real estate investment trust focused on the ownership and operation of industrial properties in the U.S.
American Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- August 16, 2007
- August 6, 2010
- May 29, 2009
- February 24, 2009
- January 23, 2009
- August 21, 2008