University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1974
Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1971, Magna Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Alan Maclin is the firm's former managing partner and former chair of the firm’s litigation department. Alan’s litigation practice involves:
- Class action defense
- Complex commercial litigation
- Mortgage banking litigation
- Antitrust and trade regulation
- Defense of government enforcement actions and investigations
- Complex trust and estates litigation
Alan heads up a seasoned team of Briggs attorneys in the defense of mortgage bankers and other financial institutions in consumer class action litigation across the country. He has also represented leading manufacturers, financial institutions and title companies both in connection with antitrust and consumer related claims, and with regulatory investigations and lawsuits by state attorneys general and other state and federal governmental enforcement agencies. Additionally, Alan has represented trustees and individuals in major trust and estates litigation.
Alan has served as lead counsel in defending a number of groundbreaking class actions challenging various mortgage banking practices, including mortgage fee disputes and payments of yield spread premiums.
His commercial litigation experience has also included representation of clients involved in breach of contract, tort, fiduciary duty and commercial product liability claims.
Prior to joining Briggs, Alan served as Special Assistant Attorney General for Minnesota from 1974 to 1980, where he headed the antitrust and commerce divisions. During this time, he was involved in government enforcement actions relating to securities, insurance, banking and trade regulation. He has authored numerous articles about antitrust, class actions, mortgage banking, regulatory compliance, franchise law and litigation, while also lecturing at numerous continuing legal education seminars on these topics.
Honors & Awards
- 2015 Lawyer of the Year, Banking and Finance, The Best Lawyers in America
- Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2011
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation; Antitrust Litigation; Banking and Finance Litigation; Real Estate Litigation; and Trust and Estates Litigation
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Leading Minnesota Attorney
- Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Leading American Attorney
- Top 40 Business Litigation Super Lawyer, Minnesota Super Lawyers
- Numerous successful defenses of national consumer class actions alleging illegal kick-backs under RESPA.
- Defended multinational document management corporation in a major contract dispute.
- Represented foreign manufacturer in connection with a three year Department of Justice Antitrust Division investigation that resulted in no action by the Division.
- Represent a debt collection company in an action brought in which the plaintiff alleged violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
- Successful representation of trustee in a fee dispute. After trial by court, the Court of Appeals affirmed district court award of approximately $8 million in trustee fees.
- Defense of claimed unfair business practices by competitor.
- Breach of trust action against corporate trust department of bank.
- Successful defense of class action alleging price-fixing.
- Represent law firm in defense of breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Represent corporate trustee in will contest.
- Defense of numerous nationwide class actions.
- Defense of governmental price-fixing prosecution.
- National class action involving alleged fee overcharges.
- Represented title insurance company in enforcement proceeding by state Department of Commerce.
American Bar Association, Member
- Antitrust and Civil Litigation sections
- Forum Committee on Franchising
Federal Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association
- Section of Antitrust, Member, Former Chair, 1999-2001
- Civil Litigation Section, Member
- Consumer Finance Litigation Section,Member, Former Chair, 2011-2012
Ramsey County Bar Association, Member
- Judiciary and Ethics Committees, Former Member
State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
Children's Law Center, Former Member and Chair, Board of Directors
Capital City Partnership, Member, Board of Directors
Advocates for Human Rights, Former Member, Board of Directors
Girl Scouts Council of the St. Croix Valley, Former Member, Board of Directors
Unity Church-Unitarian, Former Member, Board of Trustees
Volunteer Lawyers Network, Advisory Board
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Advisory Board
- July 10, 2017
- August 15, 2016
- July 5, 2016
- August 22, 2014
- July 21, 2014
- November 7, 2013
- March 26, 2013
- February 3, 2012
- July 18, 2011
- June 1, 2011
- May 17, 2011
- April 12, 2011
- March 9, 2011
- February 8, 2011
- May 18, 2010
- September 8, 2009
- February 19, 2009
- December 5, 2008
- October 28, 2008
- August 1, 2008
- August 29, 2007
- August 21, 2007
- July 5, 2007
- June 25, 2007
- February 13, 2007
- "Response to Globalization by Non-Global Firms," Panelist, 12th Annual Law Firm COO & CFO Forum, Presented by Hildebrandt Institute and West LegalEdcenterOctober 24, 2013
- "Protecting Your Assets: Cost-Effective Retention and Professional Development Strategies," American Conference Institute's Regional and Mid-Size Law Firm ForumJune 2007
- "Pre-Trial and Trial Defense Tactics," American Conference Institute, Consumer Finance Litigation and Class Actions2005
- "Recent Developments in Mortgage Banking Litigation," Mortgage Bankers Association of America, Legal Issues Conference2004
- August 11, 2008
- September 15, 2007
- June 28, 2007